C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

carb question

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2003, 08:00 PM
78 corvette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default carb question

I have been having problems with my carb. It seems that every time i start the car the choke plate opens completely. Could this be caused by an over filled float bowl? Unfortunitley i have the 4175 holley model which does not have the sight plugs. Thanks
Old 01-25-2003, 08:49 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Re: carb question (78 corvette)

That car came with a Rochester. I dont remember if that car has a choke stove and spring or not, but Holley and Rochester chokes work exactly opposite from each other. That may explain it.
Old 01-26-2003, 01:09 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,926 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Default Re: carb question (78 corvette)

I assume your Holley has an electric choke system (?)...
If the choke is closed when the engine is cold and not running, then pops wide open as soon as the engine starts, you have a choke pulloff that is incorrectly adjusted. To check it out, pull the vacuum hose off the pulloff diaphragm and put a long hose on it. With the engine cold and the choke closed, suck on the hose and observe how far the choke opens. Adjust the pulloff so that it only pops the choke open about 1/4" as measured from the forward lower lip of the choke plate to the forward choke airhorn wall.

Get notified of new replies

To carb question

Quick Reply: carb question