C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket starters... CVR protorque

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2003, 06:56 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Contributor
Default Aftermarket starters... CVR protorque

Is anyone using one of the CVR protorque starters on their C-3? I was looking at their Pt# 5323. And if so, what problems(if any) did you have with header or oil pan clearance? I'm going back in with Sanderson CC-1 headers(pic below), so I wouldn't think that would be any problem. Or will it? Any help would be appreciated.

Old 01-25-2003, 07:01 PM
Monty
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Aftermarket starters... CVR protorque (bgrice)

I've been running that starter for about 4 years, on 3 different engines. Works every time, never had a single problem with it. It's got plenty of adjustability.
Old 01-25-2003, 07:11 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Aftermarket starters... CVR protorque (Monty)

Monty,

Thanks for the answer. I've been looking at the GM high torque mini starters and the CVR. One other question... I have a new 168 tooth flex plate sitting in the garage. Will that work well with the CVR starter and would it be best to upgrade? I'm only running 9.8:1 compression, so it's not as if I will be attempting to turn over something pretty radical.
Old 01-25-2003, 07:17 PM
Armstrong
Burning Brakes

I've also got that starter on mine and had no problems. I did have to remove the spark plug wire shield on one side but I was gonna remove em both anyway so no big deal. Hella good price
Old 01-25-2003, 07:17 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,331 Likes on 1,059 Posts

I don't have the Summit cat. in front of me to tell you which protoque I own. It the one for prostock type motors up to 17:1 C/R.

I have always run 168 tooth. The starters last longer and it really zings the motor up fast. Don't be alarmed if your only getting a little over 60% engaugement. I've also never had any kind of heat soak problems and I use Hooker S/C 1 3/4
Old 01-25-2003, 07:24 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Aftermarket starters... CVR protorque (gkull)

Like usual.... a great forum to find out if something will work(or will not). Thanks to the answers from everyone. I'm sold on the CVR and will get it headed this way.
Old 01-25-2003, 07:57 PM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I called my local rebuilder and asked for a HT starter wehn I put my engine in. What I got was a gear-reduction unit that was very small and light compared to the OEM starter. So small in fact that I didn't even need to put a heat sheild over it for header protection.

Unfortunately it was not a boxed unit - they delivered to the shop and I exchanged my core - so I can't give ya the brand name though. My cost at The Dyno Shop was 95.00 and it is a NEW unit not reman.

(They still wanted the core though) :lol:

I can certainly say that these 1,000 or so miles I have driven with it have been completely uneventful. And that's a good thing! :blueangel: Even when I cranked it for an extended period so as to prime the motor before starting (and the batt had been sitting for two weeks losing it's charge) the thing cranked over "just Bitchin' " and I have no regrets. Not a one.

If ya want, I'll call them Monday and get the brand name. :yesnod:

[Modified by SanDiegoPaul, 4:58 PM 1/25/2003]
Old 01-25-2003, 09:41 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I bought a CVR Protorque on Monty's comments two years ago, and 45K miles later, still like the Energizer Bunny.
Old 01-25-2003, 10:24 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Aftermarket starters... CVR protorque (SanDiegoPaul)

Paul,

Thanks for the offer, but I placed the order for the CVR starter after all the feedback here. Maybe someone else is looking for a starter and will take you up on it.

Again... thanks to everyone.

Get notified of new replies

To Aftermarket starters... CVR protorque

Quick Reply: Aftermarket starters... CVR protorque