C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Super Bowl/Societal Behaviour/RIDE

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2003, 04:59 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Super Bowl/Societal Behaviour/RIDE

I am always intrigued by societal behaviour. I am not a big football fan but the Super Bowl is indeed a game that captures the interest of millions! But the statistics on automobile accidents after the game are pretty frightening :( . Those stats have been reported on the news wires this week (see link below).

Interestingly our local Police will have a Reduce Impaired Driving Everywhere (RIDE) presence on the roads tomorrow evening to cope with potential revellers/drivers who have been into the Molson's a wee bit too much. Yes here in Canada where hockey is supposedly the main attraction this time of year :confused: . But I guess the gridiron fans are pretty strong here as well. I would imagine the Police will have similar campaigns in place in the USA also.

So enjoy the game and soak up a few suds but think of a taxi or DD (designated driver) when it comes time to go home. The life, driving record, and insurance premiums that you save may be your own ;) .
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/030122/6/rgyl.html

[Modified by paul79, 5:12 PM 1/25/2003]
Old 01-25-2003, 05:51 PM
Robert N
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Super Bowl/Societal Behaviour/RIDE (paul79)

Good advice. :thumbs:
Old 01-25-2003, 06:50 PM
74FLCONV
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Super Bowl/Societal Behaviour/RIDE (Robert N)

When I lived in Calif. I went to Home Depot during the Super Bowl one year. Had the whole damn place to myself...people waiting on me hand-and-foot. Felt like royalty...that's probably the safest place to be.

D. Ocean
Miami, FLA

Old 01-25-2003, 07:36 PM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Super Bowl/Societal Behaviour/RIDE (74FLCONV)

Here in San Diego right now, the cops have a "take all prisoners" attitude. You get stopped with beer on your breath this weekend, and you will get handcuffs and a ride downtown. Guilty til' proven innocent or a blood test proves it. Tough weekend to party!

OTOH today I was cruising 5th avenue downtown with the tops off. :party:

I was right in the middle of the biggest street scene party I've ever seen and I've been here for a quarter-century. I got lots of :thumbs: from the guys and lots of :cool: from the girls. :D

:chevy :seeya
Old 01-25-2003, 09:12 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Default Re: Super Bowl/Societal Behaviour/RIDE (74FLCONV)

That's an interesting observation. I am not a football fan so will be on the road for other interests until the game finishes. Then will be at home before those who have had a "few" try to find their way home.
Old 01-25-2003, 09:22 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Default Re: Super Bowl/Societal Behaviour/RIDE (SanDiegoPaul)

That does sound a little bit like overkill. A glass of wine or a beer with lunch is fine with me. But not much more. I guess under the circumstances that you describe I would demand an immediate breathalyzer test. One beer would blow about 0.02 and you are on your way without a problem. Are you saying that you would be arrested, handcuffed and taken downtown for the "smell" of one beer? I find that difficult to believe.
Old 01-26-2003, 03:36 AM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

I find that difficult to believe.
Perhaps so, but the San Diego Police are not kidding down here. Those accident statistics you pointed to are very real and on the minds of the Police and the Highway Patrol. Also since a single good beer (none of the fizzy yellow water some places fob off as beer) can often place you over the legal limit, a trip downtown is almost always in order.

Its bad enough driving in southern California with its glut of 105lb women in 10,000lb SUV's and the plethora of 'baggy pant, backward cap wearing, seatback all the way back' wanna-be gangsta rice boys weaving in and out of them like its a perpetual casting call for Fast and the Furious. Imagine that and then add some skull-wearing-spike-through-the-head Raider lunatic on his 5th case of bud light trying to get home so he watch the replays on the evening news. :lol: :lol: :jester

Not me me-boy-o - I'm gonna be in a whole different county! :D
Old 01-26-2003, 12:34 PM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

am always intrigued by societal behaviour. I am not a big football fan but the Super Bowl is indeed a game that captures the interest of millions!

This morning I was talking to some neighbors in the condos .... a car parked just a few spots down from my Vette was busted up. Two side windows busted with a bat and the stereo ripped out ... and all the papers in the gloveobx strewn all over the lot.

Had to be the Raider peeps from outta town! Lord Knows us San Diegans don't do that kind of thing! Glad my car was covered up ... not that this would have changed the act of busting out windows. :hat :cuss
Old 01-26-2003, 03:39 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Default Re: Super Bowl/Societal Behaviour/RIDE (fauxrs)

Fifth case?? I hope the game this evening is exciting and without ugly incidents :) .
Old 01-27-2003, 12:56 AM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Super Bowl/Societal Behaviour/RIDE (fauxrs)

. Imagine that and then add some skull-wearing-spike-through-the-head Raider lunatic on his 5th case of bud light trying to get home so he watch the replays on the evening news. :lol: :lol: :jester
Oops my mistake let me revise the above to......Imagine that and then add some skull-wearing-spike-through-the-head Raider lunatic crying into his 5th case of bud light trying to get home so he can erase the videotape that he set to record before he left home, because the Raiders lost so bad it was worse than when the Chargers lucked into that prestigious contest.....:lol: :lol: :jester
:lol: :lol: :jester

Go Bucs :lol: :lol:

As a side note - the Drive south from Temecula - was clear - the opposite direction (north from San Diego) was busy but moving smoothly with no apparant problems.

[Modified by fauxrs, 9:58 PM 1/26/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To Super Bowl/Societal Behaviour/RIDE

Quick Reply: Super Bowl/Societal Behaviour/RIDE