C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ZZ502 cam is in!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2003, 11:49 PM
ORVette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default ZZ502 cam is in!

I know, I know. "Stop bugging us until the motor's in the car!"

Sometimes I just wanna share.

This is a really cool motor! I've never had anything new, let alone anything over 350cu.in. . The pistons are huge! Everythings forged and just looks tough! All the pulleys and brackets are on the way, shouldn't be long now. Can't wait for that open header break in run!
:D Thanks for listening.
Old 01-25-2003, 12:02 AM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 387 Likes on 235 Posts

Default Re: ZZ502 cam is in! (ORVette)

Awesome :hurray:

Keep us posted :cheers:
Old 01-25-2003, 12:21 AM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Which cam did you go with?
Old 01-25-2003, 08:05 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Looking good! :thumbs:

Break down and get yourself a drip pan for your engine stand, finally got one myself and no more run off onto the stand or floor. :yesnod:
Old 01-25-2003, 12:13 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

I know, I know. "Stop bugging us until the motor's in the car!"
Not at all! We enjoy progress reports especially with pics! :) But, please, could you keep the hairy legs out of the pics? :lol: MJ
Old 01-25-2003, 12:25 PM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Default Re: (MNJack)

Must be nice to have a heated garage to go out and work in. I wouldn`t have thought shorts in the winter are legal in Oregon. :eek:

When it first makes noise you will really be excited. I know I was. Keep up the good work and keep us informed.
Old 01-25-2003, 01:43 PM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 556 Likes on 359 Posts

Lookin' good, Troy... the cam, that is. ;)

What heads/intake are you running? What engine is this? In your sig it looks like a crate motor, but if it was, I figured you'd already have that cam in there.

Keep up the good work!
Old 01-26-2003, 12:35 AM
ORVette
Burning Brakes

Default Re: ZZ502 cam is in! (WA 2 FST)

The only heat in my garage is from the 100 watt bulb in my drop light!

It's a GMPP 454HO. It's nice to work something new. I got a ZZ502 cam from the guy I traded for the motor. It has the heads it came with, cast iron rectangle ports. I got a low rise LS6 intake from a forum member to fit under my '73 hood. I gave it a good bead blast yesterday and I think it will look fine.

I'm waiting on the gaskets I need to get it put back together. Something cool, it has a neoprene? 1 piece pan gasket that I can reuse, and the timing cover gasket is the same material and reuseable. All I had to replace were intake and water pump gaskets. I got a big old set of 2" primary ceramic coeted headers, used, from another forum member, and I'm waiting on the rest of the stuff from Paragon, Stewart, and Summit. I'd like to use my QJet and the cowl intake air cleaner, but I need to figure out what to do about a choke. The hot air mechanism won't work with this manifold as far as I can tell because I have to run a 3/4" adapter to put a spreadbore on the square opening. Anyone know where to get an electric choke conversion for a QJet?

Just taking my time here. Trying to work out the details without getting frustrated. Thanks for the support! :seeya
Old 01-26-2003, 02:35 PM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Cool! Then we have almost identical engines...except for the cam. :D Please let me/us know how it runs with the ZZ502 camshaft. I assume you are swapping to adjustable valvetrain (vs. the 454HO bolt-down pedestal rockers) and are also swapping the springs on those heads. Otherwise, you'll get valve float by 5000rpm.

I'm still contemplating a cam swap later this year, and the ZZ502 is an option, but I'll also pull the heads and either go with some aluminum ones or have these worked on.

Good job cleaning up the LS6 intake. Looks just like mine. :)
Old 01-27-2003, 12:42 AM
ORVette
Burning Brakes

Default Re: ZZ502 cam is in! (WA 2 FST)

I'm still going to use the stock valvetrain. I've talked to a couple forum members and a couple GM guys, and everyone says the 502 cam is a good upgrade for the 454HO and doesn't require any additional changes to the valvetrain. The lift on the ZZ cam isn't much higher than that of the 454HO cam, well below the .570 limit I've been told I have with my current valvetrain components. I'd definately like to hear about any info that contradicts this before it's too late. MassVette is a good source of info on these Gen V/VI motors if anyone has any questions.

Stay tuned-this thing is going in the hole next week! :eek:
Old 01-27-2003, 09:59 AM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Great. Keep us informed. Due to the fact that the ZZ502 motor has different valve springs compared to the 454HO motor, I was thinking you'd have issues with valve float. That and the fact that when I took my engine to 6k once, I believe I ran into some float (and I'm still using the baby cam). I know the cams aren't _that_ much different, but enough to where if the valvetrain is marginal for the smaller one, it could be very suspect for the larger one (and mine is very fresh, so all should be in good shape).

Also, the ZZ502 has the adjustable rockers, and we don't...wasn't sure if that was necessary to run the 502 cam or not. I was thinking that maybe it used different length pushrods (ground on a smaller base circle) or the like and therefore a fully adjustable rocker was necessary.

I'll be very interested to hear your results. Glad there's others out there running a combo close to mine. Helps me glean some good info! :D

Get notified of new replies

To ZZ502 cam is in!

Quick Reply: ZZ502 cam is in!