C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Having trouble w/ the springs still.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2003, 10:51 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Default Having trouble w/ the springs still.

Took one side spring off, just to see if we could make any advances. Lined it up in the spring tower as best we could but could not feel an actual stop. Is there a specific end that's supposed to be up?

BTW, do not do this job with a crappy jack. I did and it suuuucked.

However, Bseery did me a great deal of help suggesting a pitman arm puller. I picked up a timing gear puller from Kragen and it did wonders for separating the spindle from the balljoint. No need for pickle forks or hammers. No need for upper body strength! :)

Also, the noise we had problems with ended up being the lower ball joint. It wasn't any more than finger tight when it came off. Guess we forgot... whoops.

So, how the heck do I get this thing in the upper tower? It just does not seem to work. I saw the inspection hole. Is it about the size of a pencil eraser? What about the large hole(about an inch long) in the side of the shock tower? Is that useful in any way?

Thanks in advance.

-Steve
Old 01-25-2003, 04:31 PM
CF6873
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Having trouble w/ the springs still. (Pacin'California)

Are you replacing the springs with new ones? Depending on the length of the spring you will need to compress it some to get it in the tower. As far as the alignment you can align it with either the upper or lower seat and it should be in the right location. Some of the performance springs are shorter and will go right in without compressing first. Most of all be careful. If your cheap jack fails or slips that spring will be bouncing all over the garage. good luck, Craig :auto:

Quick Reply: Having trouble w/ the springs still.