C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

POLISHING ALUMINUM RIMS

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2003, 10:34 PM
Cali,68,L-79
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default POLISHING ALUMINUM RIMS

On my site you can see the rims better than my sig pic. I have some gouges from jerky tire shops/ air rachet and one runaway strip of metal that I ran over. No amount of crokus cloth will do the trick. A polishing shop will make them show new but that involves leaving the car on jacks for 3 weeks while I figure out how to get 4 17" rims in my little Civic and deliver it down to the shop who will sit on them for 2 weeks/ 6-days before they demount the tires and polish them in 20 minutes flat. Damage would be $75 per rim plus $10 demount/ re-mount and rebalance p/tire. :skep: Any cheaper quicker ways out there. Maybe it's time to go get 23" wire wheels and TV screens in my sunvisors and the back of my seats (where no one could see them) but I'd be cool. :rolleyes:
Old 01-24-2003, 10:44 PM
battsup
Melting Slicks

Default Re: POLISHING ALUMINUM RIMS (Cali,77,L-82)

Hit the eastwood catologue, thats your best bet.
Old 01-24-2003, 10:59 PM
Cali,68,L-79
Le Mans Master

Default Re: POLISHING ALUMINUM RIMS (battsup)

Hit the eastwood catologue, thats your best bet.
Who is Eastwood? Rim seller? Actually the rims are quite nice and I get a gang of compliments but they are showing their age. The shop says they will look like glass when their done.

P.S. chrooming is NOT an option. chrome just peels at the first hit. These rims are 6 years old and have gone thru 70,000 miles on 2 cars.

Old 01-25-2003, 08:13 AM
gmcclurg
Racer

http://www.eastwoodco.com
They have a lot of speciality finishes and polishes. I have used the Busch Alum polishing kit on wheels. With an Elec Drill you do quite a bit. A really deep scratch will require some fine grit sandpaper and then buffiing. Beats two weeks at the wheel shop. If the wheels have a clear coat on them, you can remove that with epoxy paint stripper.
Old 01-25-2003, 10:36 PM
Cali,68,L-79
Le Mans Master

Default Re: POLISHING ALUMINUM RIMS (gmcclurg)

you mean this?

Flitz Polishing Kit 5.29oz. Paste&polishball

Item No. - 13224
Aluminum Maintenance Kit From Flitz - Keep bare aluminum wheels, diamond plate and more shining without allot of hand labor. The 6" x 3" thick Buffing Ball made from soft Italian Viscose Fiber, can be operated at up to 2000 rpm, and features a 5/16" hex shaft for non-slip use in most drills. Use the Buffing Ball with the Flitz Paste Polish for quick results. Also works great on plastics, painted surfaces, and other metals.

Regular Price: $33.99 This item is in stock.
Add:

How well does it work?
Old 01-27-2003, 10:21 AM
gmcclurg
Racer

http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?p...N0SM2EPKWP0L6F
Here is a link to one of the Busch products from Eckler's. Busch makes a kit with a cleaner, buffing compound and polish. It includes two cloth wheels for use in a drill. The kit is in one of the Catalogues from the major Corvette suppliers. I can't remember which one and I don't have the books here at the office. It is also available form Motorsports at http://www.zparts car.com. Motorsport is the big supplier for Datsun Z cars and are located in Long Beach. There web site is not the best, but can call them. The kit is a little messy to use. You will want to take the wheel off the car. I did not take the tires off the wheels. I used epoxy paint stipper from Home Depot to remove the clear coat. The stripper is not geart for rubber so be carefull. I have done eight wheels with one kit - 4 on the Datsun and 4 on my Jeep.
Old 01-27-2003, 11:32 AM
Cali,68,L-79
Le Mans Master

Default Re: POLISHING ALUMINUM RIMS (gmcclurg)

http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?p...N0SM2EPKWP0L6F
Here is a link to one of the Busch products from Eckler's. Busch makes a kit with a cleaner, buffing compound and polish. It includes two cloth wheels for use in a drill. The kit is in one of the Catalogues from the major Corvette suppliers. I can't remember which one and I don't have the books here at the office. It is also available form Motorsports at http://www.zparts car.com. Motorsport is the big supplier for Datsun Z cars and are located in Long Beach. There web site is not the best, but can call them. The kit is a little messy to use. You will want to take the wheel off the car. I did not take the tires off the wheels. I used epoxy paint stipper from Home Depot to remove the clear coat. The stripper is not geart for rubber so be carefull. I have done eight wheels with one kit - 4 on the Datsun and 4 on my Jeep.
Thanks for reply. Now does that stuff give a brilliant shine or is it just to get badly pitted wheels looking so so and then follow up with Mother's Gold or Eagle One rim polish?
Old 01-27-2003, 01:42 PM
adam
Drifting

Go to Home Depot (or equivalent)

Assuming aluminum wheels with no clear coat.

Buy aluminum polish, medium and fine.
Buy two cloth buffing wheels (one for medium, one for fine.)
Buy mothers aluminum polish.

Take off each wheel. Use medium polish and clean it up. do all 4.
Go back to first wheel and begin again with fine polish and new
cloth wheel. Now use mothers for the final polishing...

4-6 hours total (spend 1 hr / wheel.)

Shiny wheels...

Oh, I see you have gouges... I've got some too - need to use fine
stone (like from a dremel tool) depending on how much metal is kicked up.
Then follow like above...

[Modified by adam, 12:44 PM 1/27/2003]
Old 01-27-2003, 05:14 PM
Cali,68,L-79
Le Mans Master

Default Re: POLISHING ALUMINUM RIMS (adam)

adam you have IM. Polish on with the wheel, use terry cloth towel and remove residue by hand?

David

Get notified of new replies

To POLISHING ALUMINUM RIMS

Quick Reply: POLISHING ALUMINUM RIMS