C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Marck, Monty, Frank... Another quick question, this time it will be. :D

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2003, 07:26 PM
'79ProwlerOrange
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Marck, Monty, Frank... Another quick question, this time it will be. :D

I got the turbo today :hurray: spins freely and i feel almost no shaft play. now to measure the impeller/compressor. what should i measure with? will a normal ruler work? or will i need a micrometer? im at work now, so i cant take pics, but when i get home i will. and yes i brought it to work :lolg:

[EDIT]
dosent look like it will be a short question after all. See below.

[Modified by '79ProwlerOrange, 2:56 AM 1/25/2003]
Old 01-24-2003, 08:01 PM
Monty
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Marck, Monty, Frank... Another quick question, this time it will be. :D ('79ProwlerOrange)

A micrometer or dial caliper would be best, but a ruler could work. Do you know what areas of the wheel you're supposed to measure?
Old 01-24-2003, 09:01 PM
'79ProwlerOrange
Safety Car

Default Re: Marck, Monty, Frank... Another quick question, this time it will be. :D (Monty)

the bottom diameter, and the top diameter right?
Old 01-24-2003, 11:35 PM
Monty
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Marck, Monty, Frank... Another quick question, this time it will be. :D ('79ProwlerOrange)

Yea, I didn't mean anything by the comment, I just recall there was some discussion about it in an earlier post. :)
Old 01-25-2003, 12:26 AM
'79ProwlerOrange
Safety Car

Default Re: Marck, Monty, Frank... Another quick question, this time it will be. :D (Monty)

I didnt even think of it like that. you know as well as i that im a newbie to turbos. :D id rather have you make sure i knew, than to not get it right. :cheers: :cheers:

I think all i have is a ruler at home, but i will see if thats good enough. if not i will take some pics with the ruler in it so you can see if you know. and if that still dosent work, i'll go back to my old auto tech and borrow a micrometer. :D i really need to get a set of those... :smash:

[Modified by '79ProwlerOrange, 2:50 AM 1/25/2003]
Old 01-25-2003, 04:49 AM
'79ProwlerOrange
Safety Car

Ok, so ive got bigger problems than i thought... while removing a bolt on the exaust housing, a piece broke off. also on the impeller there is a slightly bent edge. it actually looks like it could be straightened if you were very gentile.

This is the piece that broke:

And this is the impeller:

^^^ This looks odd to me, but it was obviously machined that way and sort of looks like it was done to balance the impeller.

i couldnt get the exaust compressor (?) out because i have no idea how. i managed to get the entire intake piece off and could see right in the oil area and thus learned how it works, but i cant get the exaust housing off. i took out all the bolts, but it is stuck on. possibly rusted together.

So i decided that since i need to get the turbo machined, im going to have it throughly cleaned, and all new seals installed. how much would a new "Oil center" (for lack of the correct term) cost? im talking about the center piece that holds the oil between the exaust/intake housings. or coud i fix it?

oh the impeller length is 8cm at the bottom and a little under 2cm at the top. it actually looks to be about 19mm. does this help in determining what size it is? looks like this may not be such a short question. if i do need to have a bunch of work to the turbo to make it work, do any of you guys have any connections that could help for cheap?
Old 01-25-2003, 08:11 AM
ram82fire
Burning Brakes

It would be wise to replace the entire spool ,, the cut was done for balancing purposes .

Geo :crazy:
Old 01-25-2003, 10:13 AM
'79ProwlerOrange
Safety Car

Default Re: Marck, Monty, Frank... Another quick question, this time it will be. :D (ram82fire)

is the spool the center piece between the housings? i was kind of thinking thats shot, or is the spool the impeller? is spins freely and there is very little play. the kind of play you would expect a brand new one to have.

how much do you think a spool would run? id like to see if its worth keeping and fixing, but i can see if i can get my $$$ back.
Old 01-25-2003, 11:07 AM
Monty
Le Mans Master

The center section is commonly referred to as a bearing cartridge housing. If your turbo is T04 based, it'll be easy to either repair or replace it. Replacing it would probably be easier as cast iron doesn't easily weld well. That's definitely a nice thing about turbos, as long as you use a common design like the T04, you can easily and reasonably get replacement parts and service.

On most turbos, the turbine wheel and shaft are one piece.

This is the kind of thing I was warning you about a few weeks ago. It might cost a little more initially to buy a new turbo, or a fresh reman, than it is to buy a "junk yard" or eBay turbo, but at least you know what the turbo is and what condition it's in.

[Modified by Monty, 10:11 AM 1/25/2003]
Old 01-25-2003, 11:43 AM
'79ProwlerOrange
Safety Car

well new turbos that i was looking at were going for $450+(i only had $250 as this was a gift) and this was listed as a fresh remanufacture. i checked and all the rubber seals look like they are in brand new condition. i cant see any parts that look bad (besides what i've listed) the bearings look brand new and everything moves like it looks like it should. i think they cracked the housing when installing the bolts because they were realy freakin tight.

did the impeller measurement help? 80mm base and 18-20mm top?

how much would a NEW bearing cartridge housing for a T04 go for?

i think i can get the exaust housing off if i use a little penetrating oil. im going to clean everything out and buy new rubber seals for it once i find out exactly what it is to make sure that it will be in good working condition, and because i like knowing they are good.

The major pain in the ace is that there are about 2 turbo places in a 50mile radius of me, and i cant find either one in the phone book, so im basically forced to go off what you guys tell me. not that i dont believe you, but if there were some guys locally then i could have more of a discussion, than a Q&A.
Old 01-25-2003, 12:04 PM
Monty
Le Mans Master

If it's listed as a fresh reman, I'd contact whoever you bought it from and notify them of the cracked casting. Hopefully, they will work with you. Those bolts don't need to be tightened that hard. The torque spec on them is only about 20-25 ft lbs or so.

I've seen empty bearing housings for $60. The part of the casting that 's cracked is on the flange where the bearing housing bolts to the compressor backing plate, right? Woste case scenario, you could probably run it with 3 out of the 4 bolts without a problem. All those bolts do is secure the backing plate and then support the aluminum compressor housing. If you can get it seated correctly it probably won't hurt anything. Just make sure that the empty bolt hole isn't an air leak.
Old 01-25-2003, 12:26 PM
'79ProwlerOrange
Safety Car

Whew! you totally reasured me. these things were a good 60 ft lbs. i had to put all my weight on one break it loose. it wasnt the one that cracked either. that one broke loose the easiest. at least i know it wasnt my fault. i can talk to the guy, but for $60 i may just buy a new housing. if these were that tight who knows what kind of condition the other flanges are in :nonod:

i think im going to spray some penetrating oil on the exaust housing and get that off. im almost sure that the bolt hole isnt an air leak, but i wont be able to tell for sure until i get that housing off. and then i can get some measurements for you too.

just checked. the bolt hole in the exaust housing does not lead into the housing, so it will not create an exaust leak. i stuck a straw in the hole and when it stoped i blew into it. all i got was a little dust in the face. :D

[Modified by '79ProwlerOrange, 11:43 AM 1/25/2003]
Old 01-25-2003, 01:40 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd send it back, caartridge housing cracked, impeller damaged (you can't bend it back, it will break), it also looks a bit rough around the shaft hole or is the pic deceiving? Are you saying the cartridge is shot too? So, the entire turbo is shot, compressor impeller, bearing cartrge.... :( :cry

If you want to fix it up (and have it done) you'll probably be paying more than a new turbo would cost. If it was advertised freshly rebuilt, this is not it.

Also, I'd have to see the impeller crack and the apart swallowed by the engine.

Marck

[Modified by Twin_Turbo, 12:42 PM 1/25/2003]
Old 01-25-2003, 01:52 PM
'79ProwlerOrange
Safety Car

Default Re: Marck, Monty, Frank... Another quick question, this time it will be. :D (Twin_Turbo)

yea. i was playing with it more and found that the crack will create a problem. i was trying to fill the bolt holes with the penetrationg oil, and no dice. they leaked. i figgured that the dirt that shot out of the hole meant that there wasnt any hole. well i was wrong. i also went feeling arround in the cartridge housing, and there's crud in there. i dont know why there would be crud in there unless the engine it was on went to crap.

man this morning has been a freaking roller coaster with this thing. :mad
I'll see what the guy has to say, but i can almost gaurantee im going to have to get ebay in on this one. he didnt even respond to my email when i asked for a tracking number. i guess this was my turn. :mad
Old 01-25-2003, 02:51 PM
Monty
Le Mans Master

I must have overlooked your earlier statement regarding the damaged compressor wheel, if that's the case, I'd definitely send it back. AS mentioned, if it's bent you could end up breaking it off by trying to bend it back. In either case, they are precision balanced assembly's, as well as the fact that there is a close fit between the wheel and the housing. I would be worried that this is an indicator of the overall quality, since no one that cares about what they are doing would rebuild a turbo with a damaged wheel. Add in the fact that the torque was way out of spec indicates to me that whoever "rebuilt" it might not know what they are doing.

With regards to removing the turbine wheel and shaft, there is a snap ring that must be removed first for the thrust bearing and seals.
Old 01-25-2003, 02:55 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Well, don;t get your hopes up. Remember my post about being stuffed? Dude never replied, I emailed his partner, I notified ebay,and so on.. and so on. That was my turb, join the club :(
Old 01-25-2003, 02:58 PM
'79ProwlerOrange
Safety Car

Default Re: Marck, Monty, Frank... Another quick question, this time it will be. :D (Twin_Turbo)

yea but i have a few things on my side, #1 i won the auction this month, which means i can take the money back via paypal. #2 in the auction he listed it as a Mint condition, Newly rebuilt turbo.

i got a response from him via email. he said that his turbo guy said it was good, but he was selling it because it was too big for his 5.0 :rolleyes: but he didnt seem reluctant to give a refund. so well see how it goes.
Old 01-25-2003, 03:16 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

good luck :) :thumbs:

Get notified of new replies

To Marck, Monty, Frank... Another quick question, this time it will be. :D

Quick Reply: Marck, Monty, Frank... Another quick question, this time it will be. :D