C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rearend advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2003, 03:50 PM
SuprJames
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Rearend advice

I'm replacing the rear gear in my 82' with 3.42's. I've never done any differential work on any other car. Though I feel pretty comfortable jumping into it myself, do you guys think I should take it to someone? Are independant rearends more complicated? My dad and I have done everything outselves so far except for the tranny.

I also need to know what else I should do or have done while I'm in there and any advice on parts. Thanks in advance!! :D
Old 01-24-2003, 04:20 PM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Rearend advice (SuprJames)

The best way to get to the gears is to drop the entire rear crossmember with carrier and cover intact. Then remove the carrier from the cover once the whole unit is out. After removing the driveshaft, halfshafts, strutrods, and rear spring, there is only 2 crossmember bolts and one pinion support bolt left to drop the unit. Make sure to put a floor jack underneath and have a second person standing by to help balance the unit as you lower it with the jack, as it may have a tendency to be off balance when it drops down. Once the carrier is removed from the cover there are snap rings that hold the side yokes in. You'll need snapring pliers to get them off then the yokes should slide out. Once the yoks are out, gear swap and setup should be basically the same as on other cars. I removed mine from the car myself but then took it to a professional to install and setup gears in carrier, then put it back in myself. Good luck. :cheers:
Old 01-24-2003, 04:38 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,618 Likes on 1,338 Posts

Default Re: Rearend advice (SuprJames)

If you have the correct tools and the GM manual then give it a shot. I have not rebuilt an 80-82 differential but have done the earlier ones myself. Give it some thought before diving in though.
Good Luck,
Gary

Get notified of new replies

To Rearend advice

Quick Reply: Rearend advice