C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

convert to HEI

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2003, 12:08 PM
lil ski
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default convert to HEI

How do I convert from points and keep my stock tach. Thanks for all the help so far you guys and gals are a great help to a newbe to vettes. :cheers:
Old 01-24-2003, 12:16 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: convert to HEI (lil ski)

Well, basically, you don't want to keep the stock tach,...that cable and drive and even that tach head itself now a daze are all too unreliable to bother with....everything needs overhaul and reoiled, tach needs taken apart completely because of a hidden needle bearing being dry...common to the speedo also, for needle bounce and squeeling.....the cable gear drive in the dist head is also a PIA and very expensive to repair on a bi-annual basis....
get a tach from a 75-77? vette and have over with it....it's electronic...
that goes with the HEI you want...

GENE
Old 01-24-2003, 12:39 PM
lil ski
Instructor

Default Re: convert to HEI (mrvette)

If I would switch to a Mallory UniLite what else do i need to do? I was just looking around in ecklers for ideas.

[Modified by lil ski, 6:15 PM 1/24/2003]
Old 01-24-2003, 09:03 PM
Vetterodder
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Re: convert to HEI (lil ski)

If your distributor is in good condition otherwise, you can convert it to electronic for way less than the cost of a custom HEI with tach drive. For about the same price as a tach drive HEI, you can go to an MSD distributor with a 6AL box. I disagree with Gene about the reliability of mechanical tachs. While any old component is more likely to fail than a new one, the vast majority of tach drive Vettes haven't had a problem even after 30+ years and many miles.
Old 01-24-2003, 09:54 PM
7Bob3
Burning Brakes

Default Re: convert to HEI (mrvette)

See Gene's reply. :thumbs:
Old 01-24-2003, 09:55 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: convert to HEI (Vetterodder)

Vrodder, have to say I disagree with you, really, as I have seen and heard enough of those shafts wearing out/damaged by the gears out the side...which are loaded with the cable failures, and then the end unit the tach itself.....after seeing my own vette, and looking at the damage/loading/design of the overall system....

sorry...it's an overall design failure just waiting to happen, and when such a good alternative...IE anything, just anything...electronic is possible...
considering the overall cost....I just can't see repairing that old mechanical monster....

GENE

Get notified of new replies

To convert to HEI

Quick Reply: convert to HEI