C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carb Question...yep, another one

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2003, 11:57 AM
Mystery Machine
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb Question...yep, another one

First...is it better to run rich or lean? Rich, right? If I run too rich would it cause it to "build up" for a second or 2 when I get on it? If so should I just adjust to a leaner setting then test drive and repeat until desired acceleration is met or is there an easier way?

Second...what carbs fit and are best choice for the stock ZZ4 engine (including the intake it came with)? I am running a Edelbrock Performer carb bt have heard everyone talking about the Demon...good things :thumbs:

Anyway, any thoughts from you all? Thanks!
:cheers:
Old 01-24-2003, 12:39 PM
burners
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: Carb Question...yep, another one (Mystery Machine)

You are on the right track. Start with your baseline setting, test by timing an acceleration run. Change only one thing at a time, then test again. Continue to repeat until the car slows down. Then go back to the settings that gave you the fastest times. In general, best power is achieved with the mixture slightly rich and best economy is slightly lean of Stoichiometric (14.7:1). Actually, getting an air/fuel gauge will make things easier.

BTW, Edlebrock carbs are fine. They do a good job.
Old 01-24-2003, 12:44 PM
Mystery Machine
Drifting

Default Re: Carb Question...yep, another one (burners)

THANKS! Is an air-fuel gage difficult to hook up? I'm going to try it this weekend by feel and times as you suggested but in the future I may consider a gage. My edelbrock has vaccum secondaries, would that cause the "build up" or is it the same with mechanical secondaries?

Thanks again...I appreciate it.
Old 01-24-2003, 08:47 PM
Vetterodder
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

By "adjust", do you mean setting the idle mixture screws or are you rejetting the carb? If you're just adjusting the idle mixture screws, they only affect the mixture at idle and do not affect performance or mileage except at idle.
Old 01-24-2003, 09:51 PM
7Bob3
Burning Brakes

The EB is a great carb. Does the car hesitate when you flog it? What do the plugs look like? Do you want to cruise or is 90% of your time spent at the strip? Did you buy the carb new, if not , what jets, rods and springs are in it now. What is your vacuum at idle, in gear if auto. What size is it? Answer these questions and we can point you to a starting place for jets, rods, springs and pump settings. As mentioned above the screws on the front are for the idle circut only.

Get notified of new replies

To Carb Question...yep, another one

Quick Reply: Carb Question...yep, another one