C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bench Test Gages???

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2003, 08:12 AM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Bench Test Gages???

Wuzz-up Guys? Been away for a while. I have two sets of gages. The white face ones came in the car and are correct. Also have a set of green face in a broken bezel which are 68-71. My white amp gage and oil pressure don't work. Is there a way to bench test any of these to find out if they work..especially before install??? If anyone is interested in the green face with broken bezel...email me. They are in great shape. Just don't know if they work.
Eddie :cheers: :cheers:
Old 01-24-2003, 08:50 AM
MikeC
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Bench Test Gages??? (Silvr77)

Ed, how's it going?

what you need are the specs for the gauges( meaning, what voltage is what temp/ pressure and so on.

Then hook up power to the gauge cluster and wire up a rheostat( for voltage adjustment) for your signal wires.

I am thinking that this should work but I am not absolutely sure
Old 01-24-2003, 09:10 AM
MELVIN
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Bench Test Gages??? (MikeC)

To bench test your amp gauge, first check continuity between the two posts on the back. If there isnt, the wire inside, which is coiled, is broken, or something inside is disconnected. Its easy to fix if its the wire. get the same gauge wire, measure and cut to same length, simple soldering at the most

Oil gauge for you car year I beleive is electrical. The wire from the oil gauge attaches to a connector that is on the top, rear of the engine. You will see an obvious wire connector either on top of, or to the side of the oil pressure sending switch that sticks up at the top rear of the engine

Just attach a wire from the proper post on the gauge to this connector. Ensure a good ground. Start car, If gauge doesnt read, either the gauge is bad, or the pressure sending unit itself is shot
Old 01-24-2003, 05:14 PM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Bench Test Gages??? (Silvr77)

Mike C and Melvin: Thanks so much for the info. Have to work on these gages this week. The 72 interior is comming along. Just rebuilt the window glass regulator and heater control. A ton of little stuff that all adds up $$$$ :eek: You guys are the greatest!!! :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:
Eddie

Get notified of new replies

To Bench Test Gages???

Quick Reply: Bench Test Gages???