C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dry Gasoline

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2003, 09:56 PM
Drew M
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dry Gasoline

Today, my autotech teacher told us about something called 'dry gasoline.' Supposedly it stops the freezing of gas in the fuel line when the temp is below 32degrees. Has anyone else heard about this stuff? How does it work? Seems like a pretty good idea to me :confused: :confused:
Old 01-23-2003, 10:04 PM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Dry Gasoline (THawkbh)

It is like anti-freeze for the fuel. I'm in San Diego so I cannot recommend a brand though. :nopity
Old 01-23-2003, 10:10 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Iso-propyl alcohol, AKA rubbing alcohol. Get it a your local dollarstore.
Old 01-23-2003, 10:14 PM
bn7035
Racer

:confused: Gasoline does not freeze at 32 degrees. Being from Texas I've never seen gas freeze. A chemist might chime in and tell us the freezing point of gas. What I do know is that water will freeze. A little water can be found in just about any fuel system especially if the vehicle sits for any lenght of time. You can get filters or separtors to keep water out of the engine. Old tractors used to have a glass bowl that would let water settle to the bottom just before it entered the gravity fed carb. You could see the water and drain it. There are additives that claim to remove the water. some work and some don't. Power Service makes an additive for desiel fuel and it works.
Old 01-23-2003, 11:59 PM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: Dry Gasoline (bn7035)

Back in the good ol' days when I lived in the frigid plains of Nebraska, we used a product called "Heat". It came in a yellow plastic bottle and you pored it in with about every other tank full.

Gas won't freeze easily, but the water that's sometimes present with gas sure will. Especially when it's -20 or -30 out and the wind is howling. No imagine that you are spraying fuel into that air-stream and the heating passage below the carb is blocked with gunk. Yep -- frozen carburetor. Real fun when the car starts to buck and kick and dies on the side of the road. Sometimes it was the carb, sometimes it would freeze in the fuel line it's self.
Old 01-24-2003, 12:33 AM
74FLCONV
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Dry Gasoline (BSeery)

Dry gasoline? Sure...it's right on the shelf next to the powdered water.

However, if it is "Dry Gas" you are seeking, click here:

http://www.shorechemical.com/Section...ts/dry_gas.htm

D. Ocean
Miami, FLA

Get notified of new replies

To Dry Gasoline

Quick Reply: Dry Gasoline