C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tip of the Evening/Dry Slide Graphite Lubricant

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2003, 09:08 PM
mapman
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

Default Tip of the Evening/Dry Slide Graphite Lubricant - Exhaust Manifold

In keeping with the spirit of Paul79's tips ...... Here is a tip for your Exhaust Manifolds.

Application of Dry Film Lubricant will keep rust off of exhaust manifolds while keeping them a "cast iron" color.

Dri-Slide is one (of many) brand of dry film lubricant that is powdered graphite in a light oil. An application of this graphite to CLEAN cast exhaust manifolds will keep rust off the manifolds while maintaining a cast iron coloring. The graphite resists temperatures greater than the manifold reach and will not burn off.

Apply the Dri-Slide to a cloth and wipe it on the manifold. The graphite will get down into all the cast surface. Touch up, when necessary, with some more Dri-Slide on a cloth.

I sandblasted my exhaust manifolds and then treated them. May save you some effort and $ on exhaust paint. The color is probably not NCRS exact, although a similar tip is in a recent NCRS publication.

[Modified by mapman, 9:28 PM 1/23/2003]

[Modified by mapman, 9:29 PM 1/23/2003]
Old 01-23-2003, 09:11 PM
Teuffelhunde
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Tip of the Evening/Dry Slide Graphite Lubricant (mapman)

When applied, is the finish dry or wet? I've been thinking about using this stuff insetad of painting my side pipes every 6 months.
Old 01-23-2003, 09:34 PM
mapman
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Tip of the Evening/Dry Slide Graphite Lubricant (Teuffelhunde)

Teuffelhunde,

The film goes on wet (damp) and the "oil" dries pretty quick leaving the graphite. However, I don't think this would work very well with side pipes as the surface is smooth and the graphite could wipe off pretty easily. This stuff (technical term) gets into cracks (like the cast surface of the exhaust manifold) and is difficult to remove.

Also, If you get it on your hands, it is like antiseize in that, it gets into the skin pores and is difficult to get out.

Dri-Slide has lots of other uses like lubricating locks, speedometer cables, ...
Old 01-23-2003, 09:38 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

OK mapman, I love it!! What an interesting suggestion. I have had the spray can shown below in the basement for years. Dry graphite is basically a carbon lubricant that never goes away. I have used it for door locks on my cars for winter cold, etc. Think of pencil lead and that is what it is. So I sprayed a bit on cardboard and lo and behold, an iron colour :). This may work for manifolds as it is heat resistant and carbon. What a wonderful suggestion! I do believe that we should start a post sometime: the $5.00 alternatives to the $50.00 Corvette catalogue products ;) .

Old 01-23-2003, 09:50 PM
mapman
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Tip of the Evening/Dry Slide Graphite Lubricant (paul79)

... I do believe that we should start a post sometime: the $5.00 alternatives to the $50.00 Corvette catalogue products ...
:eek: :eek: Are you crazy? The whole economy might collapse. :lol: :lol:

Your spray is basically the same as the Dri-Slide liquid it should work fine. I think I would spray it on a cloth and then wipe it on the manifold as opposed to spraying it directly on the manifold. A little goes a long way.

What I like is that it is not a paint, it will not chip or flake off. And touchup is easy.
Old 01-23-2003, 09:58 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

An excellent suggestion. I will try it in the spring when the Vette gets out of winter storage.
Old 01-23-2003, 10:33 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Tip of the Evening/Dry Slide Graphite Lubricant - Exhaust Manifold (mapman)

It works good on door locks, the lube doesn't turn into wax like WD40 so it still works when it is very cold.
Old 01-24-2003, 10:26 AM
Stewart's74
Safety Car

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Re: Tip of the Evening/Dry Slide Graphite Lubricant - Exhaust Manifold (mapman)

Schweet.
I will use this tip on my water pump, master cylinder and rear end cover. :yesnod:
Old 01-24-2003, 11:23 AM
Touringpro
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, it's great stuff! I've used it for many years to lubricate throttle and clutch cables on my bikes. http://www.drislide.com/ :thumbs:
Old 01-24-2003, 04:48 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,613 Likes on 1,336 Posts

How about using this for a Hurst shifter?
Gary

Get notified of new replies

To Tip of the Evening/Dry Slide Graphite Lubricant

Quick Reply: Tip of the Evening/Dry Slide Graphite Lubricant