C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about Centerforce clutches/transmissions

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2003, 07:16 PM
Ryan77
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about Centerforce clutches/transmissions

This summer I plan on buying a 470hp 383 crate motor from AR Racing. Since this is a lot more power than a stock '77 L-48 has, and the motor would be out anyway, I was thinking about adding a Centerforce "Dual Friction" clutch too. My question is this, the new motor will be hooked up to the stock driveline for about a year, then I'll be replacing the stock 4 speed with a Richmond overdrive 6 speed, and replacing the rest of the driveline with heavier duty parts, so will the Centerforce clutch for the stock 4 speed, also work with the new 6 speed? The 6 speed transmission is a 1-1/8"x26, but what is the stock 4 speed? I believe they're the same and Centerforce Dual Friction clutch for the stock 4 speed will work with new 6 speed, but I want to be sure and not waste $260 for a clutch I'll only use for 1 year. Thanks in advance :cheers:
Old 01-23-2003, 09:33 PM
trw
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Question about Centerforce clutches/transmissions (Ryan77)

The CF clutch will work with both transmissions.

Earlier trannies only had 10 splines.

Hope this helps.

Terry
Old 01-24-2003, 12:06 PM
Ryan77
Drifting

Default Re: Question about Centerforce clutches/transmissions (trw)

So the '77 4 speed IS a 26 spline, right?
Old 01-24-2003, 12:59 PM
Marks69BB
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is the 77 a Muncie or a T10? If it's the Muncie, yes it is 26 spline. If you get the CF clutch, get the adj pivot ball even if you use the stock bell housing and put 500 miles of 'around town' grandpa shifting on it before you abuse it. It will slip if it is not broken in properly.
Old 01-24-2003, 01:06 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't know what clutch you need but I do know that the pressure plate is the same and only the clutch disc needs to be changed if there is a problem. I went from a 10 spline to a 26 spline and only changed the disc.
Old 01-24-2003, 02:35 PM
Ryan77
Drifting

Default Re: Question about Centerforce clutches/transmissions (Marks69BB)

Is the 77 a Muncie or a T10? If it's the Muncie, yes it is 26 spline. If you get the CF clutch, get the adj pivot ball even if you use the stock bell housing and put 500 miles of 'around town' grandpa shifting on it before you abuse it. It will slip if it is not broken in properly.
I believe it's the T10. The Richmond T10's are 26 spline, so the clutch should work for both. I'll be sure to get the adjustable pivot ball too and be sure to go easy for about 500 miles :cheers:

[Modified by Ryan77, 2:37 PM 1/24/2003]
Old 01-25-2003, 05:22 PM
vettedreams
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don"t know about the dual friction disc, but the pressure plate with the "braclet" on it from CF ain"t worth doo doo said mildly, and the hassle to fix that is more bull%$#@, and again that"s just my personal experience, and opinion, it"s your hard earned money!
Old 01-26-2003, 09:49 AM
MassVette
Le Mans Master

The R.O.D. for GM comes in 10 spline and 26 spline models.......same$$$$$$$
The CF Dual Friction setups on both my 454 and 502 work very well. However, they do require a break-in period.
:yesnod: :chevy :chevy :yesnod:
Old 01-26-2003, 03:31 PM
Ryan77
Drifting

Default Re: Question about Centerforce clutches/transmissions (MassVette)

Massvette-- the break in period is about 500 miles right? It's no problem for me anyway as I have to break in the new 383 that I'll be putting in at the same time :cool: :cheers:
Old 01-26-2003, 04:11 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,922 Likes on 1,929 Posts

Ryan -
Like the guys have said, the clutch will interchange between the transmissions noted.
We've installed several of the CenterForce Dual Friction setups in the Vettes out here in Colorado. They work exceptionally well, but you do need the adjustable pivot ball from Mr. Gasket. We've been setting up the ball so it's about 1/8" taller than the stock ball, and this seems to work well by getting the clutch linkage right into the middle of its adjustment range. We've also been checking this installed height before installing the tranny by slapping the bellhousing with the fork & TO bearing up into position, installing the linkage, and checking the play and range in the linkage. Once verified, we tear it down and install the entire bellhousing/tranny assembly.
Old 01-27-2003, 01:23 AM
WashingtonRacer
Pro

Default Re: Question about Centerforce clutches/transmissions (lars)

What is better than the centerforce? How about dual plate clutches, like McLoed? If so what modifications are needed to install one? does it require a certain flywheel?
Old 01-27-2003, 09:11 AM
MassVette
Le Mans Master

Massvette-- the break in period is about 500 miles right? It's no problem for me anyway as I have to break in the new 383 that I'll be putting in at the same time :cool: :cheers:
YEP............good luck!
:yesnod: :chevy :chevy :yesnod:
and listen to Lars about the adjustable clutch pivot ball........it'll save you a lot of grief.
Old 01-27-2003, 01:04 PM
Ryan77
Drifting

Default Re: Question about Centerforce clutches/transmissions (MassVette)

Thanks for all the help :cool: I'l be sure to get the adjustable clutch pivot ball too. The stock bellhousing works fine with the dual friction clutch right?
Old 01-27-2003, 01:15 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 764 Posts

Default Centerforce clutches/transmissions PIVOT BALL

Well, I was wondering why I could never get my throwout bearing to quit making a racket. So I need a new adjustable pivot ball? If I remember right, I have to drop separate the tranny from the bellhousing, don't I? Can I do it without going to all that trouble?
Old 01-27-2003, 02:29 PM
MikeC
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Question about Centerforce clutches/transmissions (vettedreams)

I don"t know about the dual friction disc, but the pressure plate with the "braclet" on it from CF ain"t worth doo doo said mildly, and the hassle to fix that is more bull%$#@, and again that"s just my personal experience, and opinion, it"s your hard earned money!
I've never had a problem with mine..... and I regularly beat the crap out of it! I don't know if you are talking about the concept of how the "bracelet" works or that yours broke but the concept of how the "bracelet" works is valid.
Old 01-27-2003, 03:56 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Default Re: Centerforce clutches/transmissions PIVOT BALL (carriljc)

Well, I was wondering why I could never get my throwout bearing to quit making a racket. So I need a new adjustable pivot ball? If I remember right, I have to drop separate the tranny from the bellhousing, don't I? Can I do it without going to all that trouble?

Yes you have to seperate them. If you get under the car and look, the flat head of the pivot ball is partial covered by the bellhousing making it impossible to come out with them together. Must be a safety feature but does make it a pain to change.
Old 01-27-2003, 09:42 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 764 Posts

Default PIVOT BALL--replacement(I was afraid of that)

I guess I'll just have to come up with a reason to do the bellhousing/tranny separation again. I'll probably put if off for awhile since it runs ok, just a little dragging of the throwout bearing.

Get notified of new replies

To Question about Centerforce clutches/transmissions

Quick Reply: Question about Centerforce clutches/transmissions