C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looks Like No Repairs This Year!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2003, 04:59 PM
Richard Cooper
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Looks Like No Repairs This Year!!!!

Yesterday, we had an emergency meeting at work. they told us that they were shutting down the plant and moving everything to Foshan, China. Our last day of work will be July 25th, 2003.
I guess I'll put off doing my rear main and new oil pump till I get a new job. Its not going to be easy, I'm 58 years old and there is nothing around here, everyone's moving to Japan, China and Mexico.
Thanks for letting me vent, I really do feel better. Well, I'm going to get some Chinese food now, yea, right! :mad :mad
Old 01-23-2003, 05:01 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 143 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Re: Looks Like No Repairs This Year!!!! (Richard Cooper)

I am sorry to hear that..Good luck finding something else
Old 01-23-2003, 05:11 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Man that Sucks!! It has happened to a lot of people lately. Good luck!
Old 01-23-2003, 05:11 PM
74-Roadster
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06
Father & Son St. Jude Donor '09

So sorry to hear that as well. Hang in there, at least you have some time to look for a job. What type of work do you do? And are you willing to relocate at this point in your life?

Times are certainly tough again, my wife and I are very fortunate.
Old 01-23-2003, 05:23 PM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Default Re: Looks Like No Repairs This Year!!!! (74-Roadster)

We were talking about this the other night at work and how the economy is so far down. My buddy had a pretty good suggestion. He said that if he were President he would stop all imports, period. He said then you would see all kinds of industry poping up here and jobs would be everywhere and people wouldnt be working for beans. People would be needed. Plenty of tax money would be generated, etc..... He then went on to say, he would probably be killed pretty darn quickly too for doing something like this.
Old 01-23-2003, 05:27 PM
Richard Cooper
Melting Slicks

Thanks for all the suppotr everyone, I am a high speed production mechanic for Sylvania Lighting. I guess I really am lucky because I have time to look for something else, and the wife has not said anything about selling the vette yet. :D
Old 01-23-2003, 05:44 PM
IETEK
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really sorry to hear about your misfortune, specially under those circumstances.
I have my own feelings about that as well. I won't bore you with the details I'm liable to get on my soap box and fall off and hurt myself haha!

We wouldn't know what good times were if we didn't have something to compare them too.

God Bless,
Ietek
Old 01-23-2003, 06:15 PM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Richie,

Sorry to hear that but I guess you kinda had the feeling it was coming for some time. Also lucky you have some time to work things out.

Not that it's any consolation, but you're not alone. It's happening all over. Things just pretty much suck out there right now.

I'll keep my eyes and ears open for you.

Your neighbor,

Joe..
Old 01-23-2003, 06:50 PM
burners
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

That's a real bummer. I'm sorry to hear that. Best of luck to you in your job search. BTW, what company is it and what do you produce. I don't think I'll be buying anything from them if I happen to be a customer. Hang in there, dude.
Old 01-23-2003, 07:22 PM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Default Re: Looks Like No Repairs This Year!!!! (burners)

I myself don't think the government of this country will be happy til we're all working at WalMart, Mickey D's, Taco Hell, etc. I agree with the above poster who said "Stop the Imports", but it'll never happen-to many "big corporations" pushing FAIR TRADE and all :mad :mad :mad

I wonder how many Mexicans or Chinese drive Ford trucks, Chevy cars, Harley Davidson's

I wonder how much "stock" they own in the same companies that are putting Americans out of work now :mad

A small, short presidential nominee named Ross Perot once said, "Pass NAFTA and you'll hear a GIANT sucking sound of jobs going right out of this country" He was absolutely right-I also believe it would've taken a lot more than him being president to repair this country, which is one reason I believe he DID'NT run. It's sad, the companies don't even SUPPORT their own American workers and they wonder why people are pulling their money out of the stock market-if American companies can't support American workers, why should we invest in THEM :mad :mad :mad
Old 01-23-2003, 07:26 PM
GaryS
Melting Slicks

I feel your pain. Out of work and looking too. On top of that, it looks like they may cancel our companies pension under the bankruptcy laws. :mad OUCH, that hurts.
Gary
Old 01-23-2003, 07:27 PM
bhays
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Looks Like No Repairs This Year!!!! (Paul Borowski)

I myself don't think the government of this country will be happy til we're all working at WalMart, Mickey D's, Taco Hell, etc. I agree with the above poster who said "Stop the Imports", but it'll never happen-to many "big corporations" pushing FAIR TRADE and all :mad :mad :mad
And now, top economists are warning that a war in Iraq could result in rapidly escalating fuel prices and absolutely kill any rally that may be starting with the economy...but off we go to avenge Daddy and pursue our personal vendettas..... :mad :mad :mad :mad
Old 01-23-2003, 07:31 PM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 512 Likes on 312 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
Oldtimer

When I lost my job in the nineties, I never thought I'd find anything else again. But low and behold I did and it pays better than I was making with the old company. So good look and look around, there's a lot we can do!
Old 01-23-2003, 07:34 PM
wayne_69_427
Pro

You hear the same story every day hang in there, good luck
Old 01-29-2003, 07:08 PM
Richard Cooper
Melting Slicks

Thanks to all for all the great replys. I got more support from my CORVETTE FRIENDS then I did from all the idiots at work.
I am sure I will find some work, but it just makes me mad that some one in China will be running my machine. I have given 15 years of hard work to that company( Sylvania Lighting) and they don't give a dam about nothing but making MORE money.
Well, thanks for all the support.
Joe, maybe I'll see you at some shows this summer. Thanks for keeping your eye out for me. Take care.

Richie :seeya :seeya
Old 01-29-2003, 08:49 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default starting to rethink the virtues of fair trade

I am beginning to rethink the virtues of "Free Trade". I was always taught that tariffs and trade barriers are bad and reduce overall economic efficiency. But we have given away our steel industry, our garment industry, shoes? :lol: and most other types of manufacturing, and all that was OK, let the 3rd world do the manual labor manufacturing jobs and we will benefit from cheaper goods.... but I was just reading an article in Businessweek about how the trend towards "Overseas outsourcing" is spreading to the service industry. Companies are finding it is cheaper to have software developed by programmers located in India. Even architectural drawings can be drawn up by somebody in Eastern Europe. Those telemarketers calling you at dinner might very well be calling from Pakistan (And you wondered why you couldnt understand them!!).

Seems to me the net effect of exporting all our jobs to 3rd world lower cost providers will raise the standard of living of the rest of the world and lower our standard of living considerably. Some of these company CEO's should be replaced by a Harvard educated MBA from Eastern Europe. Plenty of talent that would do the job for maybe $500k/yr instead of the $50mm some of these guys are getting to slash their expenses by sending factories to China! Sheeeeeeeshhhh!!! :mad
MJ
Old 01-29-2003, 08:53 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Sylvania Lighting

Richard, Is this info I am getting correct? "Sylvania Lighting" which I think of as an old line American company, is a privately held Australian company?? :confused: MJ

Get notified of new replies

To Looks Like No Repairs This Year!!!!

Old 01-29-2003, 09:09 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Sorry to hear Richard. It is a sign of the times. I am preparing to leave my first job since highschool, after 8 years and I can tell you the economy had ALOT to do with it..... I believe better things are on the horizon, we just have to look harder for them now. Best of luck.
Old 01-29-2003, 09:31 PM
Tom77
Instructor

They are sharpening the axe for the second time where I am. GE Power Systems, Schenectady. I'll be in this layoff. No major vette repairs this year either. March is the target month.
Old 01-30-2003, 05:40 AM
Mystery Machine
Drifting

I have been lucky enough to dodge a few bullets in the last couple of years here. I work in the Aerospace industry which is either sink or swim...mostly sink lately but I think they leave me alone 'cause I don't make much$$ anyway! :lol:

Anyway, take it easy and try and figure out a way to enjoy the time you'll have to do the things that are REALLY important, like family or cruising! :thumbs:

Something will come along, sooner or later.

Quick Reply: Looks Like No Repairs This Year!!!!