C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Console Detailing

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2003, 01:56 PM
hpranch
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Console Detailing

How do you re paint silver ridges of 78-82 console, center dash , etc.? I thought of using a printing roller, but what to use for paint or ink
Old 01-23-2003, 02:24 PM
PyjamaSam
Pro

Location: At the end of 2 big long black marks on #2 Sideroad and Walkers Line.
Default Re: Console Detailing (hpranch)

Hmm never thought of that.. Well maybe it is because mine are so worn doen I can't tell that they even existed. Anybody got a picture (close up), a silver pen might work, but I don't think it will be the colour you are looking for. Maybe silver model paint... Hmm this is a tough one.

I will be bookmarking this thread since I will one day have to do this and am very interested what method to use.

chris.
Old 01-23-2003, 02:37 PM
VetteNut72
Pro

This might work but I never tried it.

Spray the ridges with chrome bumper paint and let it dry completely. Then use vasoline on a q-tip and put a light coat on the top of the ridges. Then spray the console with the correct paint (satin, semi-flat, ...). When that dries, you can wipe off the vasoline revealing the chrome paint underneath.

Old 01-23-2003, 06:33 PM
virtue4u
Team Owner

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I think painting the ridges with aluminum paint, coating them with grease and then painting the whole console with semi-flat is the best method; BUT if you don't want to do all that, I was surprised at the following results: Go to a radio control modeling store and ask for a sheet of chrome paper. Cut the paper into very small strips. When you lay it on the edge it doesn't look that great, but it seems like it lays better over time. My gauge cluster has the chrome paper and the console is NOS new. Unless you look closely, you cannot tell the difference.
Old 01-23-2003, 07:13 PM
thermoquad
Racer

Default Re: Console Detailing (virtue4u)

I used a felt-tipped silver paint pen that I found in the arts & craft section at Wal-Mart.
I just went to the garage and hunted it up(maaaan, it's cold out there)--it's called a "silver leafing pen" and made by KRYLON.
I'll email some pics if you want.

Good Luck
Old 01-23-2003, 07:39 PM
DP77Vette
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10

Default Re: Console Detailing (thermoquad)

:iagree: Or look in the model car section for a paint stick. Probably the same as above.
Old 01-23-2003, 07:54 PM
cchristo
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a silver paint pen. It's not quite as shiny as original, and it does wear off in a couple months, but it's easy and only takes a few minutes to re-apply.
Old 01-23-2003, 07:58 PM
Clink69
Drifting

I have a new repro center console. Whatever they did to paint the silver was crap. Looks awful, but was the best of several I went thru at Carlisle.. If they don't know how to do it , who does. :crazy: :crazy:

Chris :flag
Old 01-23-2003, 08:30 PM
Burgundy 69
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Although a little off topic, I refinished my tired looking 69 shifter plate last summer. I started by removing all parts, including the shift pattern and the engine plaque. I then took steel wool and rubbed the plate, being careful not to scratch the chrome trim, until all of the rough spots were cleaned up. Over the next several days I sprayed 5 coats of matte black paint and let it dry. As for the ash tray door, mine was scratched, so I got some 320, then 600 grit paper and wet sanded it down until the scratch was removed. I then washed and sprayed it with 5 coats of paint.

Once I was sure that the paint had cured, I took a single edge razor blade and slowly worked my way around the trim and removed the paint from the chrome. I purchased a replacement shift pattern (NOS) and engine plaque from Dr. Rebuild and put everything back together. It came out so good that I decided to repaint the air condition control unit frame. Everything went back together nicely, and it looks great. Sure beats buying replacement units and it was fun to do. :hurray:

Mark
Old 01-23-2003, 10:27 PM
bn7035
Racer

I purchased some chrome pin stripping from Pep Boys. I used a razor blade to trim the edges. It looks great but I'm not sure how it will wear. I just did it last week.
Old 01-24-2003, 10:31 AM
Stewart's74
Safety Car

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Re: Console Detailing (Burgandy 69)

Once I was sure that the paint had cured, I took a single edge razor blade and slowly worked my way around the trim and removed the paint from the chrome. I purchased a replacement shift pattern (NOS) and engine plaque from Dr. Rebuild and put everything back together. It came out so good that I decided to repaint the air condition control unit frame. Everything went back together nicely, and it looks great.

I used this method when I re-did my door panel trim. The results were spectacular :yesnod:
Old 01-24-2003, 01:58 PM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,487 Likes on 771 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

There are some very bright "chrome" paints available, which I have sprayed on after taping off every where else, but they still are not true chrome. I have used bright silver pens whihc work fairly well but appear a bit dullish. The ultimate is to hae these areas re-chromed. There was actually a chroming type of process used. There is a shop, I believe out of TX which does this. door panels, radios, any piece. It is a bit pricey. for the cost of it, it might be better to just by an exact repro. :smash: :smash: :smash:

Get notified of new replies

To Console Detailing

Quick Reply: Console Detailing