C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you jack your car up?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2003, 01:31 PM
RMVette
Race Director

Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts

Default How do you jack your car up?

I've noticed in a lot of the posted pictures that the car is on jack stands. Question is, how do you properly jack your car up to position the jack stands? In the past I located the floor jack at the cross member and jacked each side up. Then I put a set of jack stands on that side and then do the same with the other side. After the money I spent on a paint job I don't want to stress the body and crack anything! I'll be installing a power brake kit and doing brake work on my '70 in a few weeks. Thanks! :cheers:
Old 01-23-2003, 01:39 PM
Teuffelhunde
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How do you jack your car up? (RMVette)

I lift under the front suspension cross member or I use the differential in the rear. I rarely lift from the frame on either side.
Old 01-23-2003, 02:20 PM
Cajun99
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: How do you jack your car up? (Teuffelhunde)

I lift under the front suspension cross member or I use the differential in the rear. I rarely lift from the frame on either side.
Same here...I don't like flexing the Vert from side to side. I pick up either end first and place two stands on each side then move to the opposite end.

I'd rather pick the car up from each end then from the sides.
Old 01-23-2003, 02:37 PM
mapman
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

RMVette,

I use the vehicle lift points from the Corvette Shop manual for my 1980.

These jack points lift from the frame and not the front suspension cross member or the differential in the rear. The differential/differential carrier on the 80-82 is aluminum.

I do loosen or remove my T-Tops when jacking the car. C3s do not have the frame stiffness of a C5.
Old 01-23-2003, 03:11 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I use a 3 ton floor jack under the front crossmember or under the rear differential. I do not jack on the frame behind or in front of the wheels
Years ago I welded a stainless plate along with a place to screw a hook in for towing if it became necessary to clear the front spoiler. This plate never scratches, prevents dings in the crossmember and gives me a large anchor point if I need one.
Old 01-23-2003, 03:16 PM
no_radio
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: How do you jack your car up? (mapman)

RMVette,

I use the vehicle lift points from the Corvette Shop manual for my 1980.

These jack points lift from the frame and not the front suspension cross member or the differential in the rear. The differential/differential carrier on the 80-82 is aluminum.

I do loosen or remove my T-Tops when jacking the car. C3s do not have the frame stiffness of a C5.
:iagree:

The cross-member is not a factory lifting point. I've seen plenty of Corvettes lifted that way, with no ill effects (that I know of). I use the factory jacking points to support the jackstands, which requires me to jack from the side of the car near the lifting point. Has caused no known ill effects. My jack is really too short to reach the cross member or dif without me crawling half under the car to reach the handle, and then there's not much stroke on the handle due to the clearance issue again.
Jeff
Old 01-23-2003, 04:07 PM
HDIronman
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: How do you jack your car up? (norvalwilhelm)

I use a 3 ton floor jack under the front crossmember or under the rear differential. I do not jack on the frame behind or in front of the wheels
I also open the rear deck lid and leave both doors ajar a bit.

Get notified of new replies

To How do you jack your car up?

Quick Reply: How do you jack your car up?