C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Turn Down" exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2003, 11:11 AM
Andrew
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Default "Turn Down" exhaust?

I am still looking at exhaust options and thought about this last night. I like the sound of "turn down" style exhaust and hate looking at the exhaust pipes on Vettes from the back (pipes going under the IRS and hanging out the back). Would it be possible to put 3" exhaust from the headers, through the cross member, put some type of Dynomax/Flowmaster muffler right after the cross member, then just turn down the exhaust right after the muffler? Would the heat mess up anything under the car? Would the exhaust fumes be to strong?
Old 01-23-2003, 11:46 AM
Michael Tucker
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: "Turn Down" exhaust? (Andrew)

what i hate about my pipes pointing down (want side pipes but waiting fro the 572ci BB)
the dust and dirt that is all over the streets around here blow up into the air every time i take off and that with me running a little on the rich side it looks like my car smokes
not a good thing when you have the windows down and the tops off at a red light or parking on cut grass
good luck,
Mike
Old 01-23-2003, 11:49 AM
Lt1er
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: "Turn Down" exhaust? (Michael Tucker)

Dust, fumes, heat, and space. I like the look of the tips straight out the back of the muffler. All that exhaust pressure helps you go faster
Old 01-23-2003, 12:58 PM
Andrew
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Default Re: "Turn Down" exhaust? (Lt1er)

Ok LT1er, are you being a :jester ? I always thought the less restrictive, the more air can move through the engine, create more power, and let you go faster. :lol:

If I were to turn the exhaust down and to the outside of the car, would that stop blowing up dust when stopped?
Old 01-23-2003, 01:11 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: "Turn Down" exhaust? (Andrew)

Yes it is certainly possible. I did something like that a few years ago. Straight 3 inch pipe off the headers, through the crossmember into 3 inch turbo mufflers then a hard turn out just in front of the wheels. But the 4 inch thick mufflers even pressed almost against the floor boards still hang down. There is also the heat problem. In my 75 there is a steel plate on the passengers side for the heat but nothing on the drivers side. Also a turned down exhaust like others have already stated dirt will fly everywhere plus the noise bounces around under the car making it noisier then it would normally be . Even with normal mufflers in the normal location the exit pipe makes a big difference. I started out with down spouts and still had a problem with dust. I later went to extend pipes just past the rear bumper and it quieted the car down alot and solved the problem with kicking up dust.

Get notified of new replies

To "Turn Down" exhaust?

Quick Reply: "Turn Down" exhaust?