C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Offset trailing arms considerations

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2003, 03:01 AM
Lohkay
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Offset trailing arms considerations

Hey fellow vetters.

Been a while I posted. In my restoration, I might need to change my trailing arms so I was looking at the offset ones and was wondering what was needed to make them fit. My first thought is:

- longer leaf spring
- longer halfshafts
- longer swaybar

Does anyone have more info? What else would need to be changed? Where could I get those longer items? If I need to custom fit it...what are the lenghts required? Thanx for your time.
Old 01-23-2003, 04:37 AM
sventy2
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Offset trailing arms considerations (Lohkay)

Actually none of the above. All the stock parts in stock length fit. The offset part is between the hub assembly and the front mounting position. The trailing arm is formed to clear the larger rims and tires in that area. So basicly the hub assembly retains the stock position. I can e-mail you a photo if you like.
Old 01-23-2003, 06:50 AM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

Default Re: Offset trailing arms considerations (sventy2)

Actually none of the above. All the stock parts in stock length fit. The offset part is between the hub assembly and the front mounting position. The trailing arm is formed to clear the larger rims and tires in that area. So basicly the hub assembly retains the stock position. I can e-mail you a photo if you like.
:iagree:
As long as you don't use "double offset" trailing arms - you don't need any of that. I have the 2 inch offset trailing arms from Van Steel and I didn't need to change anything...

:cheers:

Olivier
Old 01-23-2003, 07:00 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: Offset trailing arms considerations (Lohkay)

I have large wheels/tires in the rear of my '72 with stock t-arms, and having moved the ebrake tab to behind the rotor....
NOW, having this setup....I find about 1/4 inch of clearance between the t arm and tire.....and nearly the same between the VBP sway bar and tire...
the 17 inch rims clear the spring tab/bolt easily....in fact I think 15 inch would also..just for looking at it....
SO, keeping the same centerline to the rim/tire no matter what combo it is...
I think 9.5 inches is about the widest wheel tire one can mount on our cars...
if you do wider, you have to hit the sway bar, VBP or stock, so eliminating the sway bar allows going wider as there is another inch to the frame...but that would then necessitate the offset arms, I presume....had I known about the superior construction of the offset arms as opposed to stock arms, Iwould have bought them at that time...but the catalogue picture was not clear enough but ten inches of rubber is plenty, allthough yesterday in the rain...
several times that wild 1st gear in the 700r4 broke the rear end loose...
so yeh...maybe someday...offset arms, and eve wider tires....but at that point I would have to add to the fender flares, maybe when I repaint the car....humm.....MORE MODS???

GENE

Old 01-23-2003, 12:54 PM
71roadster
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Offset trailing arms considerations (mrvette)

I was at a Goodguys show talking to the rep for Quickor, a major sway bar manufacturer and he told me they could whip up a custom sway bar for just a liitle more $$$ than an off the shelf unit. Just draw them a picture. That would cure the sway bar interference problem.

Mrvette, what backspacing are you running with those 9.5 inch wheels?

Chris
Old 01-23-2003, 01:05 PM
vettery
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Offset trailing arms considerations (GrandSportC3)

Quote, "As long as you don't use "double offset" trailing arms -"

Exactly what do they mean by "double offset"? :confused:

Get notified of new replies

To Offset trailing arms considerations

Quick Reply: Offset trailing arms considerations