C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to get independant values of old corvettes

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2003, 06:18 PM
Corellian Corvette
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Where to get independant values of old corvettes

Hey everyone!

As you recall, my '73 Stingray was stolen on Jan 12th.

I'm about to start dealing with the insurance adjuster and there will have to be a determination on the value of the car. :banghead:

Kelly Blue Book only goes back to '83. Does anyone have a recomendation on where you can find "independant" book values for our cars?

I would like to review before talking with the adjuster so I have some reasonable numbers in mind.

Thanks again! :cheers:
Old 01-22-2003, 07:12 PM
74FLCONV
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Where to get independant values of old corvettes (Corellian Corvette)

I would start by conducting an on-line search (E-Bay, AutoTrader, Corvette Dealerships, etc.) and print-out all '73 vettes that have been listed or sold.

Start calling or e-mailing the owners of cars in your (anticipated) price range and see if the car is still available or if it has sold, and for what price. I believe this is a more realistic view of what the car is actually worth vs. what some book says (unless, of course if the adjuster whips out some book that has higher prices (unlikely).

If you can back up your estimated value with printed ads & notes from e-mail & phone conversations, and include ANY receipts from recent work, the adjuster might just take out his pen and write you a check on the spot.

I once saw an adjuster write a check for $3000.00+ for my girlfriend's POS Toyota station wagon (I couldn't believe anyone would waste their time stealing it...it looked like (and was) junk). Car was worth $1000.00 tops, but she just paid $1800 for a transmission...they paid on the spot, no questions asked. That receipt made all the difference.

D. Ocean
Miami, FLA
Old 01-22-2003, 07:19 PM
Sleestak
Team Owner

Default Re: Where to get independant values of old corvettes (Corellian Corvette)

Do they accept the NADA collector car appraisal guide figures? You can usually pick one up at Barnes&Noble for @ $10. It's got an orangish-yellow cover for 2002. BTW it lists a '73 coupe at 14,800 on the high end.
Old 01-22-2003, 07:43 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

I think the best source of unbiased information comes from open outcry auctions. As the saying goes, "It is worth what someone will pay for it", and an open outcry auction determines exactly that (Ebay auctions are too vulnerable to fraud in my mind to really determine value). And of course, the more recent the auction the better........ well, looky here.... there was an auction less than one week ago.... (RM Auctions)....

1973 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible $ 35,750

I guess that gives you a starting point!! :lol: MJ

You can knock off $5k if your car is a coupe... maybe another $5k if your car was higher mileage.... another $5k for condition.... there you go! :)

[Modified by MNJack, 7:45 PM 1/22/2003]
Old 01-22-2003, 07:56 PM
Robert N
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Where to get independant values of old corvettes (Vfastboy 73)

Do they accept the NADA collector car appraisal guide figures? You can usually pick one up at Barnes&Noble for @ $10. It's got an orangish-yellow cover for 2002. BTW it lists a '73 coupe at 14,800 on the high end.
Online @ http://www.nadaguides.com/

Get notified of new replies

To Where to get independant values of old corvettes

Quick Reply: Where to get independant values of old corvettes