C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Pinging! Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2003, 05:52 PM
csnap
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Pinging! Please Help!

Hello everybody, bad news, I was enjoying a drive in my 1980 L82 when I noticed the engine was sputtering. I gave it gas, it roughly started to build RPM, then the light changed and I shifted from N to Drive ( it is an automatic
) then the car jumped foward, but the engine began knocking. I am convinced that it is not running on all cylinders and there has been a strong smell of gas. Now when I start it, it runs very rough, sputtering so to speak, and there is a distinct knock under the passenger side valve cover. Recently, I was in florida with the car and I had the plugs replaced because they were fouled, then I drove home to colorado (2000 miles) I noticed during the past 2 weeks the car gradually started running worse. I thought that this was due to the altitude but probably not. Please help! Tom

[Modified by csnap, 11:02 PM 1/22/2003]
Old 01-22-2003, 06:13 PM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Engine Pinging! Please Help! (csnap)

When you say knock, do you mean a valve tap? Like a ticking noise? If so then it might just need a valve adjustment. As far as the misfire is concerned, it may be that the plugs are fouled again. change the plugs and adjust the valves. Should make a would of difference. If the plugs are fouling, it may be due to bad valve seals. Valve seals are a little more invloved to repair then spark plugs, but still worth the effort if the engine is ok otherwise. i once had bad valve seals that would burn oil and foul plugs and cause misfiring every 3 or 400miles. A new set of positive performance valve seals and the problem is totally cured. You might kill two birds with one stone since the rocker arms would have to be removed and the valves re-adjusted in order to replace the valve seals. I recomend Crane Cams PN;99819 for the seals.

Quick Reply: Engine Pinging! Please Help!