C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ouestions on Battery Tender unit

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2003, 03:40 PM
69er
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Ouestions on Battery Tender unit

I picked up a Battery Tender charger unit without instructions.

Do I have to take the battery out or disconnect the ground cable to use this charger?
Or can I just connect the Tender's cables to the battery posts with the vettes cables on the battery?
I should mention I have the green dial battery cutoff on the negative side. :confused: :confused: :confused:
Old 01-22-2003, 03:59 PM
ED DINAPOLI
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Re: Ouestions on Battery Tender unit (69er)

Joe,
I would make sure that your green battery disconnect switch is in the off position. I would also make sure that your battery is fully charged and the water [electrolite]in each cell is topped off [after battery is charged]. The Battery Tender is not suspose to overcharge a battery, but I would check your water level at least once a month to make sure.
Ed
Old 01-22-2003, 04:04 PM
69er
Team Owner

Default Re: Ouestions on Battery Tender unit (ED DINAPOLI)

Hi Ed.
Do I just connect the Tender's cables to the battery with the vette's cables on the battery and the cutoff in the off position?
Old 01-22-2003, 04:30 PM
john's '81 mouse
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used a battery tender type charger the last two years of winter storage and have had no problems with it, and car starts right up after 3 or more months of storage, but I do disconnect the battery ground cable before I hook up the tender. I don't want to take the chance of any electrical short, and subsequent fire while the vette is in storage.
Old 01-22-2003, 05:41 PM
ED DINAPOLI
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Joe,
Once your battery is charged and the battery diconnect switch is off. All you have to do is connect the Battery Tender to the battery. I have not had a problem with my unit, however some of the vette guys in the NCRS club have had boiling over problems with some brands of chargers. If the charger does not shut off completely when the battery is charged it can over charge the battery. When a battery over charges it will boil the water out of the battery. That is why I suggested that your check the water once a month, untill you get confidence in your unit.
The best way to keep a battery over the winter is to remove it form the car, put it in a cool dry place and keep it charged. I am too lazy to do this as the battery in a c3 is difficult to remove and replace. I would remove the battery evey couple of years and clean out the battery compartment of any spills or acid residue. Let me know if I can be of futher help.
Regards
Ed
Old 01-22-2003, 06:03 PM
69er
Team Owner

Default Re: Ouestions on Battery Tender unit (ED DINAPOLI)

Joe,
The best way to keep a battery over the winter is to remove it form the car, put it in a cool dry place and keep it charged. I am too lazy to do this as the battery in a c3 is difficult to remove and replace. I would remove the battery evey couple of years and clean out the battery compartment of any spills or acid residue. Let me know if I can be of futher help.
Regards
Ed
I feel the same,Ed.
I scraped my knuckles getting the old battery out and new one in.I don't have a strap carrier.
I tried the Tender and it's reading red.My battery must be low.My garage is kept at 60.Though I haven't started her for about 5 weeks and the disconnect was on off the battery still seems still low.I remember someone saying one time this Battery Tender will not charge a low battery.It will only maintain a charged battery.
Will have to see if she starts or put a regualr charger on her before using the Tender.
Will have to wait to open the garage to start her and with the temps in the single digits my downstairs and my upstairs over the garage bedrooms will be cold after a half hour of running her.

Thanks Ed and John for your imput.

[Modified by 69er, 6:04 PM 1/22/2003]
Old 01-23-2003, 12:46 PM
adamdinat
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I just do not trust leaving it plugged in all the time. I plug it in for the day on the weekend. Its nice because there is no problem when you forget to shut it off. I have boiled many batteries with the old chargers by forgetting them overnight. For me sealed batteries are the way to go. No more holes in my clothes.

Get notified of new replies

To Ouestions on Battery Tender unit

Quick Reply: Ouestions on Battery Tender unit