C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LEARNING TO PAINT YOUR VETTE

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2003, 01:25 PM
Cali,68,L-79
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LEARNING TO PAINT YOUR VETTE

I am done with the Vette save one scratch on the nose. I will take it to my painter for this finishing touch but after that I want to do the paint myself. For one the Vette has been in the paint shop three times for varioius scratches and that adds up to serious $$$. Two I lose the car for > two weeks every time. Three it takes me 1 week to get the car detailed back to normal from all the sanding going on. If I spend $300 on a compressor, $200 on a gun and attachments I can be well on my way and when I scratch my cars it's no longer a big deal, no more screaming, wrenchs flying out the garage and across the street just one day's of work and like new.
So okay how can I learn? Is there a thread or webpage I can study for prep, paint application, wetsanding, color sanding etc. etc. Is there anyone out there in San Diego whose doing their Vette so I can watch/ learn / assist?

David

Old 01-22-2003, 02:35 PM
no_radio
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: LEARNING TO PAINT YOUR VETTE (Cali,77,L-82)

Read up, ask lot's of questions, and practice on some other cars first. It's not as easy as it looks, but it's not too hard once you get the hang of it.
I bought a Honda CRX for $400 that needed some paint and bodywork. Fixed it, painted it for practice, sold it for $1650. A couple of those and you can make some $$$ while you learn.
But there is no easy one-stop way/place to learn, just takes time. I would definitely NOT start by trying to blend out a blemish on a car with nice paint that you like (such as your Corvette).
Jeff
Old 01-22-2003, 03:06 PM
Cali,68,L-79
Le Mans Master

Default Re: LEARNING TO PAINT YOUR VETTE (no_radio)

Jeff thanks for reply. I agree the Vette would definetly not be my test platform. :lol:
Good ole faithfull, 93 Civic Ex will perform that task.

Need to go to my painter and see if he will allow me to watch assist. I think the issues of liability and HAZMAT may preclude him allowing me in the paint booth, respirator or not. :banghead:
Old 01-22-2003, 04:15 PM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

David,

you can practice on my backup car too - I'm sure I'll remember where I parked it soon :lol: BTW got the vette back - it looks terrific - although at certain angles the nose seems just a bit lighter, at other angles its a perfect match.

Spoiler is awesome - he still has the sidepipe covers because he didnt like the quality of the surface as it came from ecklers so he is completly working that out.
Old 01-22-2003, 04:40 PM
Lil_Vette_Chic
Advanced

After the price tag for the paint and body work on my vette my husband decided he would paint his project car himself ('69 pontiac 400), he's starting the body work this week. We just got the compressor and gun a couple of weeks ago, and we are really glad we got the belt drive compressor instead of the oil free, the belt drive is much more quiet so we are still friends with the neighbors.

Good luck with your education.
Old 01-22-2003, 05:28 PM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: LEARNING TO PAINT YOUR VETTE (Lil_Vette_Chic)

Dave,

One word of caution: The blending work that is required to do
repair/painting on a single panel - takes much experience to get right.
It's one thing to spray an entire coat on the whole car, but matching and blending
is truly an art.

ps - start with a light color - beige/off white - to practice.

:seeya
Old 01-22-2003, 07:49 PM
Cali,68,L-79
Le Mans Master

Default Re: LEARNING TO PAINT YOUR VETTE (NHvette)

Dave,

One word of caution: The blending work that is required to do
repair/painting on a single panel - takes much experience to get right.
It's one thing to spray an entire coat on the whole car, but matching and blending is truly an art.ps - start with a light color - beige/off white - to practice.:seeya

I agree and as my 1st post will leave the Vette to the professionals. Now the Civic I don't mind and actually it has a beautiful finish, waxed monthly but chocked full of rear end dents, one per every drunk night out :lol: It will be my test platform.

Eric why would your nose be larger/ look larger? Got into it with a Raiders fan? :lol:
Old 01-22-2003, 07:54 PM
Cali,68,L-79
Le Mans Master

BTW so as not to offend any Raiders Fans reading this I love ya guys. Over the years you all have decreased my out of pocket tax expenses that you all pay the local courts/ goverment in the form of bail bonds for drunk and disorderely, aggrevated assault, DUI's etc. etc. Got a feeling it will get ugly down here in San Dog this next weekend.
Old 01-22-2003, 09:22 PM
stpman
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Dave blending takes practice start with plain light color (metalics can be tricky). paint whatever needs it even a kids wagon. the more you practice the easier it gets.

Steve :steering:

Get notified of new replies

To LEARNING TO PAINT YOUR VETTE

Quick Reply: LEARNING TO PAINT YOUR VETTE