C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tachometer/Distributor Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2003, 01:19 PM
Mystery Machine
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tachometer/Distributor Question

Is it possible for me to use my stock tach with the ZZ4 distributor setup? Am I going to have to get a new tach or a new dist? :confused:

Thanks! :thumbs:
Old 01-22-2003, 01:31 PM
BeaterShark
Drifting

Default Re: Tachometer/Distributor Question (Mystery Machine)

You can use the ZZ4 distributor if you change out your tach for a '75 - '76 one. I think they changed the shape and size of the tach in '77, but I may be wrong on this. The other options are to use your old distributor, buy another distributor with tach drive, or convert your points distributor to electric with a kit like the Pertronix or Mallary Unilite.
Old 01-22-2003, 01:33 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stock 73 tach is mechanical so you will need a new tach or find a new/used tach. I have my orig tach that needs rebuild. Not sure what the far market price is but guessing $100.

What happed to your orig tach? Think you just did the zz4 swap, right?

[Modified by Fevre, 12:34 PM 1/22/2003]
Old 01-22-2003, 02:56 PM
Mystery Machine
Drifting

Default Re: Tachometer/Distributor Question (Fevre)

What happed to your orig tach? Think you just did the zz4 swap, right?
I just did the engine swap so I am using the original (stock) tach. Considering the complications of installing an aftermarket tach would it be worthwhile to just buy a tch drive dist? They seem to be ~$300 for an MSD for example.
Old 01-22-2003, 03:04 PM
Fevre
Race Director

By orig I meant the one that was on the motor you took out, did it have a tach drive on it? If so rebuilding that one and upgrading it would be cheaper than buying the MSD one. That being said I bought an MSD one too, plusg right into my MSD 6A.
Old 01-22-2003, 03:16 PM
Mystery Machine
Drifting

Default Re: Tachometer/Distributor Question (Fevre)

By orig I meant the one that was on the motor you took out, did it have a tach drive on it? If so rebuilding that one and upgrading it would be cheaper than buying the MSD one. That being said I bought an MSD one too, plusg right into my MSD 6A.
Gotcha, I do have the original setup (points) so maybe that's a better route to go. Although, since it's an auto maybe I'll hold off and see about picking up a nice MSD tach drive dist and 6A setup...if you don't mind me asking, how much did that set you back and where di you purchase it from?

Thanks for all the replies!
Old 01-22-2003, 03:48 PM
Fevre
Race Director

The box was on the car when I bought it and the Dist was about $280 from Summit. Def high dollar and questionable if I needed it. From what I understand any Multi Spark Distribution (where they got the name for MSD) system is really only needed when running a high duration cam. The multi spark helps burn the charge better at low rpm and helps smooth out the idle. The system actually goes to a single spark at high rpm's. I think the stock cam in the ZZ4 is borderline so you may or may not need the msd type system. The Formula I just bought does not have an msd system and idles a little rougher than the engine I have in my vette which has a longer duration cam in it. The Formula has an LT4 hot cam with 216 and 22? durations while my vette had 222 and 230 durations with the same 112 lope seperation. I even have a programable multi port fuel injection in the Formula and a good old carb in the vette.

[Modified by Fevre, 2:49 PM 1/22/2003]
Old 01-22-2003, 04:04 PM
1971Ultra
Racer

I ran into the same situation when I purchased the ZZ5 FastBurn of which I also added the Hotcam kit. It came with an HEI, which I could have used if I didn't want to use my tach. Fortunately, my car came with an MSD set-up.

Also, I contemplated converting over to a 75/76 or newer tach, which I still might do in the future. But that some serious $$$$$. For now I'll be content with the MSD.

Kipp

[Modified by 1971Ultra, 9:10 PM 1/22/2003]
Old 01-22-2003, 04:09 PM
BeaterShark
Drifting

Default Re: Tachometer/Distributor Question (1971Ultra)

I got a '75 tach on ebay for $50. It took a while to find one at that price and until I found it, I had bought a AutoGauge tach with shift light for $35 on ebay that I strapped onto the steering column.

Get notified of new replies

To Tachometer/Distributor Question

Quick Reply: Tachometer/Distributor Question