C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best shock and tire combo

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2003, 11:13 PM
lobwedge
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Best shock and tire combo

New to C3 forum just picked up a 1980 70000.00 miles.Ride is harsh as i thought it would be.Any input on the best ride combo on shocks and tires im not adverse to changeing wheels if need be.
Thanks for any input
Wayne
Old 01-22-2003, 12:11 AM
Stoge
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Best shock and tire combo (lobwedge)

Mine does not have the Ghymkana syspension option, and it rides quite nicely. However, it has the original shocks still in place. I have BFGoodrich Radial T/A 255/60/15's on the original aluminum wheels. You will find a great number of people have BFG T/A's on their cars, but that does not mean they are the best tire. I have had great luck with them lasting long and they seem to do quite well on wet roads. There is also something about them that just "fits" a C3.

I have heard to stay away from Dunlops due to wet weather traction issues on our cars. I think Firestone and Yokohama still make a tire in that 255/60/15. Of course, this is assuming you have the original wheels. If you get bigger wheels, there are a lot of tires out there that are a lot better than what fits stock wheels.

I am getting ready to go with AC Delco Performer gas shocks. Rik's has them for $160 per set of 4. Lots of people like Blistiens too.
Old 01-22-2003, 01:44 AM
8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Be Happy.....Go straight for the good stuff......Bilstein Sports Shocks and BFG Radials or G-Force TA Radials :seeya Cappy
Old 01-22-2003, 09:31 AM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Just to add my 0.02. I have poly body mounts and bushings all around, Koni shocks, VB&P mono leafs both front and back and 20" wheels all around. I'd say the ride is SOLID. :steering:

Get notified of new replies

To Best shock and tire combo

Quick Reply: Best shock and tire combo