C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New motor questions: '98 Vortec truck long block in my '70??

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2003, 09:36 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Default New motor questions: '98 Vortec truck long block in my '70??

My question of the night.....
I have a friend with a 1998 Chevy truck longblock just sitting in his garage taking up space. (The 500ci, 6-71 blown, Mopar motor is in his 64 Dodge station-wagon drag car.)
What are the cons of using this motor in my car? I'd probably change the cam to something more rev and power friendly and the intake so that I can run my carb. I'll be looking for cam recommendations later if I pull the trigger on it.
Any problems with the deck height? (I thought truck blocks were tall deck.) Hood clearance really isn't an issue with the L88 hood. How about my headers? Will they line up with correctly? Anything else that I'm not thinking about? Accessories? I have no PS or PB.
If I could pick this thing up cheap, would this be a good swap as a temporary solution to do until I'm ready for the 383? I would want to do it as cheaply as possible since it would only be for one season. If I could build a 400hp motor for under $1k, I'd be psyched.
Old 01-22-2003, 04:41 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: New motor questions: '98 Vortec truck long block in my '70?? (Scooter70)

Matt

The only thing I can think of that might be a problem is if it has no provision for a mech fuel pump but elec pumps aren't too expensive. You have an auto right? If so you don't have to worry about the z-bar pivot stud hole like if you had a 4-speed.
Old 01-22-2003, 06:58 AM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Default Re: New motor questions: '98 Vortec truck long block in my '70?? (Fevre)

Chris, I was thinking about the fuel pump last night. Wasn't sure if there was a provision for it or not.
No, I've got a 4 speed. What's this about the z-bar pivot stud hole?

[Modified by Scooter70, 6:58 AM 1/22/2003]
Old 01-22-2003, 07:38 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: New motor questions: '98 Vortec truck long block in my '70?? (Scooter70)

Chris, I was thinking about the fuel pump last night. Wasn't sure if there was a provision for it or not.
No, I've got a 4 speed. What's this about the z-bar pivot stud hole?

[Modified by Scooter70, 6:58 AM 1/22/2003]
That is the threaded hole on the block where the pivot ball threads into to support the z-bar. On older blocks there is usaully two of them. On late model blocks like the ones used for vortecs I believe the forward pivot ball, the one we need for our 4 speeds, was eliminated and may not even have the rear pivot ball stud hole. If the planets align for you :) I may have the 4 bolt engine I bought last year avail. I should know in the next few weeks.

Get notified of new replies

To New motor questions: '98 Vortec truck long block in my '70??

Quick Reply: New motor questions: '98 Vortec truck long block in my '70??