C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

exhaust manifold bolts

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2003, 09:19 PM
jetech
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust manifold bolts

I have three snapped off bolts on one of the manifolds where it bolts to the exhaust pipe. I tried an easy out but had no luck. Tomorrow I will try a different type easy out. If I cant get them out can I drill and install heli-coils? :banghead: Or does any one else have any ideas. Headers are on my to do list but not any time soon.
Old 01-21-2003, 09:35 PM
rainman69
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: exhaust manifold bolts (jetech)

Buy a can of "PB Blaster" from a place like Advance Auto Parts. Get a sturdy container that will not get eaten by the chemical. Put enough in the container that you can completely soak the studs where they are in the manifolds. Soak for 24 hours and then try removal.

If that doesn't work, you might have to drill and helicoil. :smash:
Old 01-21-2003, 09:59 PM
gary6696
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Contributor '03 & '04

I've tried soaking them a week or two in PB and other stuff. Still break them off.
Easy outs are a waste of money. Never did get one out with one.
Take them to your local machine shop. They can melt them out with an EDM machine, or grind them out with an end mill. :banghead:
Old 01-21-2003, 10:44 PM
stpman
Melting Slicks

Default Re: exhaust manifold bolts (gary6696)

haven't had much luck with easy-outs myself. if you have access to a mig welder and there is still some of the bolt you can weld a nut to the brocken bolt, the heating and cooling will break it free.

Steve
Old 01-22-2003, 12:28 AM
Kevin_73
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'11

When I replaced the studs in my manifolds I had the same problem, two of them were broken off almost flush, two others broke but left enough room to get a vice grip onto them, and only one came out without breaking.

It took three days of soaking, heating, drilling, and :smash: but they all finally came out without any damage to the threads in the manifolds.
Just soaking the studs did not seem to work very well, but I found that if I heated them and then immediately sprayed with wd-40 several times they would finally loosen up. Just be sure you turn the torch off before you start spraying since wd-40 is flamable.
BTW, this is one of the few applications where I have ever had an easy-out actually work without breaking :crazy:

Get notified of new replies

To exhaust manifold bolts

Quick Reply: exhaust manifold bolts