C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My car is going to be world class soon (T-5)

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2003, 07:06 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default My car is going to be world class soon (T-5)

at least the tranny will be. :)

My world class t-5 arrived, now to figure out how to put it . :confused:

Any and all help and pic's would be greatly appreciated. :yesnod:
Old 01-22-2003, 09:05 AM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Re: My car is going to be world class soon (Fevre)

Sorry I can't help you on the installation, but I was wondering is that the same T5 they put in Mustangs too? Hope someone here can share some light on the installation! :cheers:
Old 01-22-2003, 09:39 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Default Re: My car is going to be world class soon (groovyjay)

I believe the inerts are the same but casing is diff. The bellhousing is tilted 18 degrees I believe and mounts are also offset. I am going to pull my muncie this weekend and compare the postion of the mounts. I would like to try and intall it tilted to reuse the stock bellhousing that comes with it and also match up the mounts better. The tilt might also line up the shifter better with the current hole in the trans tunnel. I will try and get a digital camera to document the process. From what I understand, the w/c t-5 is not the best tranny for hardcore drag racing but if treated with some respect should be good for street use and some racing with no powershifting.
Old 01-22-2003, 09:51 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I like the T5 transmission and as long as you don't power shift it will live. They changed a few things between the Mustang and Chevy but on rebuilding I have taken parts from one to place in the other. The 18 degree tilt will help the shifter line up but I ended up using the mustang T5 since they are plentiful and cost about 1/2 the cost. I drove this transmission for a year and really like it. It has a great low gear and .68 overdrive. Best of both worlds.
A new mount can be welded to the crossmember on the same 18 degree angle.
You will like the transmission once installed.
Old 01-22-2003, 10:20 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Default Re: My car is going to be world class soon (norvalwilhelm)

Norval

I am actually looking forward to the process, I love to tinker with stuff. :) Did you get to see my new toy? An 89 Formula with a LT1 retrofitted intake:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/rrabine2/main/rcr3.htm

Haven't had chance to really dig too deep into it but I am thinking of taking that intake and putting it on a 383 in my vette. But that is another project. :yesnod:

[Modified by Fevre, 9:21 AM 1/22/2003]
Old 01-22-2003, 12:50 PM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

My wife's cousin use to drag race his mid 80s mustang with a T-5. He could run all season on that tranny running upper 9's to low 10's. He still has his B&M(?) shifter that he is going to give me when I have the time to upgrade to a T-5.

Norval,

Did the guy from Prosouth duplicate your adapter plate for installing a mustang T-5 to Chevy engine? As far as I can tell, the early 90s mustang cobra T-5 tranny can handle the most torque, so I hope to locate one in the future.
Old 01-22-2003, 01:33 PM
71roadster
Burning Brakes

Default Re: My car is going to be world class soon (Frankenvette)

There is a place in california that makes bell housings to bolt these things in, with either a hydraulic of mechanical throwout bearing. A little pricey compared to off the shelf bellhousing, but they do the job. Throw a blow-out blanket around it and you have safety too. Look in the back of Drive magazine, the free newstype mag available pretty much all over the nation.

Chris
Old 01-22-2003, 01:40 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Default Re: My car is going to be world class soon (71roadster)

There is a place in california that makes bell housings to bolt these things in, with either a hydraulic of mechanical throwout bearing. A little pricey compared to off the shelf bellhousing, but they do the job. Throw a blow-out blanket around it and you have safety too. Look in the back of Drive magazine, the free newstype mag available pretty much all over the nation.

Chris
I can re-use my stock bellhousing if it won't bolt in at an angle, no biggie. Good thing is I have a block I am going to use for a 383 stripped down so I can use that to do the prelim fitting. Knew having too many parts would pay off someday. :)

Get notified of new replies

To My car is going to be world class soon (T-5)

Quick Reply: My car is going to be world class soon (T-5)