C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear end help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2003, 05:19 PM
ZRWANABE
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Default rear end help!!!

I am about to purchase my mom a 79 vette with a built 327 and a turbo 35o trans I am getting the car at a great price and all is good exept there is a humming in the rearend i cant tell if it is a bearing or the gears so all I really wana know is worst case how much would a good used rear cost or is there a typical problem with the rear in these cars that makes them humm.

Me being a C4 guy i dont know much about C3's but my mom used to have one that my dad cut up into a race car. Since he recently died im trying to chear her up. This should do the trick if i can get the rearend strait mabie yall will see her up at cruse in 4 this year
Old 01-21-2003, 05:30 PM
rexx78
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: rear end help!!! (ZRWANABE)

Don't know how much a used one is, but I just got mine rebuilt for $500 CDN, I took it out of the car. New bearings, posi clutch, and seals. It would have been cheaper if the spline ends hadn't been mushroomed, taking an extra hour to remove them.
Old 01-21-2003, 06:03 PM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hummmm? As in grinding hum? Could be wheel bearings.

Does the noise happen at all speeds? Or only at high speeds? You'd be surprised how much you can hear the back tires in a C3...
Old 01-21-2003, 07:08 PM
ZRWANABE
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Default Re: rear end help!!! (page62)

yea i think it was a grinding noise but im not sure im gunna drive it again tonite so i will find out :chevy

by the way page62 how hard is it to put the 200r4 in the C3 since my mom will drive this everyday i would like her to have overdrive

[Modified by ZRWANABE, 7:10 PM 1/21/2003]
Old 01-21-2003, 07:54 PM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

I'd drain the fluid and see what's in there. I'd then refill it with gear lube and the limited slip additive unless your positive it sounds like metal to metal.

At a minimum, it would cost a few hundred to swap and that's if you do the work yourself. If there's a Vette shop around you that sells used parts or find someone parting a car, you can save some bucks.

Old 01-21-2003, 09:27 PM
page62
Le Mans Master

The 2004R is a direct bolt-in replacement for the TH350. It fits exactly in place -- not that there won't be a few "gotchas." There are two good vendors out in CA: Art Carr and Bowtie Overdrives.

Just make sure that whoever does the swap *knows* what they're doing, or you're in for a peck of grief (ask me...I know).

The only drawback I've experienced is the tranny likes to go into 4th far too soon -- and stay there. This is due to the lack of a computer to tell it what to do, I suppose. So I simply put it into 4th when getting on the freeway, and down the 3rd when I get off. :yesnod:

[Modified by page62, 8:29 PM 1/21/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To rear end help!!!

Quick Reply: rear end help!!!