C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Short or radio

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2003, 01:25 PM
geoc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Short or radio

I went to start my 78 yesterday and the battery was dead. I just replaced it in the early fall. The clock display stays on after the ignition is off which it didn't before. I wouldn't think this would be enough current to pull down the battery but evidently it did. I have been driving the car almost every weekend or a few days during the week this winter if it is nice. The radio is the original. I am wondering if it is the radio that needs replacing or could it be a short somewhere. Also it is a Wal-Mart Ever Start battery. :confused:
Old 01-21-2003, 02:08 PM
45ACP
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Short or radio (geoc)

"I am wondering if it is the radio that needs replacing . . ."

Sounds like it needs a little work to correct the little problem with the clock display, but not outright replacement, at least if you care about originality. There are vendors out there that can easily fix such things.

I would start the troubleshooting session with an examination of the charging system. If it is not healthy, nothing else really matters.
Old 01-21-2003, 02:26 PM
Marc01
Racer

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Short or radio (geoc)

I don't have a solution, just wanted to let you know you're not alone. I have the same battery, and the same thing happened to me. However, I have a new CD player radio. But my problem might be a bit different, because my battery will slowly lose charge over a period of weeks even with the negative terminal disconnected.
Old 01-22-2003, 11:51 AM
geoc
Instructor

Default Re: Short or radio (45ACP)

THANKS
Old 01-22-2003, 11:53 AM
geoc
Instructor

Default Re: Short or radio (Marc78)

THANKS. THAT'S STRANGE THAT YOUR BATTERY LOSES CHARGE WITH A BATTERY CABLE DISCONNECTED. UNLESS YOU DON'T DRIVE IT MUCH.

Get notified of new replies

To Short or radio

Quick Reply: Short or radio