C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replaced my Carb Gasket. Car Now Warms Up Great!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2003, 09:13 AM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Default Replaced my Carb Gasket. Car Now Warms Up Great!

I bought the TV-Made-EZ system form Bow-Tie Overdrives to improve the shifting behavior of my 700R4. Happy to say that the trans no longer kills the engine at the 1-2 shift, the transmission transitions between gears smoothly and life is good.

An added benefit of the kit has been (what I think to be) better warm ups and that the car no longer tries to 'die' when I come to a stop during warm-ups. I replaced the one-piece .5" base carb gasket that had those plastic spacers on the bolt holes with the 1/8" metal plate sandwiched between two gaskets supplied in the TV kit. I appear to now get an incredible seal on the carb base. The car starts almost immediately, warms up and will keep running (without encouragement on the gas pedal at stops). I'm also experiencing a faster idle which tells me that I had some real vacuum issues with the former 'heat insulator'-style gasket. I've also replaced the EGR with a sealed plate (may have also improved the vacuum behavior, not sure).

I'm going to back the idle off a tad this evening (along with a few more fine-tuning adjustments and removal of the trans pressure gauge from the trans case). Happy to report that I'm finally HAPPY WITH MY 700R4 - no more leaks and it shifts as smooth as my 2001 LS1!. BTW, transmission pressure is 80psi at idle and 155psi at mid-throttle; exactly that recommended in a recent Chevy High Performance mag article on installation of the 'EZ' kit.

NOTE: I have the 1905 Q-jet carb for which Bow-Tie just issued the adjustable TV kit for the 700R4.
Old 01-21-2003, 12:23 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Re: Replaced my Carb Gasket. Car Now Warms Up Great! (TedH)

A lot of people will reuse the carb gasket over and over and this causes problems especially if the carb is changed because the indents in the gasket will be different causing vacuum leaks etc. I will only reuse the gasket a few times and only on the exact same carb.

Quick Reply: Replaced my Carb Gasket. Car Now Warms Up Great!