C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have fuel cell part numbers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2003, 09:40 PM
Cookwithvette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have fuel cell part numbers?

I'm seriously considering EFI and would like to have a fuel tank better suited for the task. Does anyone make a fuel cell that drops right in? If so does anyone have part #s?

Thanks.
Old 01-21-2003, 09:14 AM
Robd
Pro

Default Re: Anyone have fuel cell part numbers? (Cookwithvette)

Not sure exactly what your looking for. But you cant go wrong with Quanta http://www.quantaproducts.com/tanks/tankindex.html
Old 01-21-2003, 11:58 AM
Cookwithvette
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Anyone have fuel cell part numbers? (Robd)

Thank you. Quanta seems to have some very nice stuff but they are OEM style tanks. I'm looking for something baffled and with a sump in the bottom.
Old 01-21-2003, 10:41 PM
Cookwithvette
Burning Brakes

ttt
Old 01-21-2003, 11:32 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Cook, Do a search on ATL and fuel safe one of them makes a replacement fuel cell for a Corvette, you will reconsider when you see the price BUT they make it!! ...redvetracr
Old 01-22-2003, 01:57 PM
shamby
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Will any of the fuel cells that Summit offer fit??
Old 01-22-2003, 02:22 PM
Monty
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Anyone have fuel cell part numbers? (shamby)

Unless you have your mind set on a true fuel cell (ATI, FuelSafe, etc) or have real need based on safety or rules requirements, have you considered simply installing a sump onto the bottom of your original tank? It's not hard to do, and if you can't weld, any welding or chassis shop can easily do it relatively inexpensively.

You can buy the sump from Jeg's or Summit for around $50-60, and a welding/chassis shop will charge you about $50 to drill a couple fo holes in the bottom of the tank, and weld the sump over them. What you want to do is prefit the sump onto the tank, without welding it on yet. Then drill 3-4 1" diameter holes in the bottom of the tank, spaced and postioned so that the welded on sump will cover them. This will ensure the fuel can get into the sump, but it will help keep the pickups covered under cornering, braking, or acceleration. Remember that the sumps outlet(s) should be rearward facing so the g-forces will aid in keeping the sump submerged.

Here's mine...
Old 01-22-2003, 02:48 PM
442olds
Pro

Default Re: Anyone have fuel cell part numbers? (Monty)

Monty:

What did you do with the blatter, and seal off the fuel inlet hole witout a blatter?

Thanks....
Old 01-22-2003, 03:09 PM
Monty
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Anyone have fuel cell part numbers? (442olds)

The bladder is still in there. I was worried about that too. I thought the bladder would be like a thick skinned rubber, formed bag inside the steel tank. It's actually a hard plastic, that the two steel tank halves are put around, then welded closed. I just drilled the holes though the bladder as well. So far no problems.

I drilled the original fuel feed line out of the the filler plate lcoated at the top of the tank, and used a AN -08 bulkhead connector with a aluminum line inside the tank to direct the returning fuel away from the sump/pickup to avoid the pumps picking up aerated fuel. The -08 bulkhead fitting is connected to a -08 braided fuel return hose running up to the front of the car and the fuel pressure regulator.
Old 01-22-2003, 04:27 PM
Cookwithvette
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Anyone have fuel cell part numbers? (Monty)

Monty.... that looks like the way to go. I'd never even thought of going that route. (hadn't put 2 and 2 together) I guess I don't need a fuel cell after all. This is fantastic news. On top of that I see you're using braided SS hose. I converted last spring and love it but I didn't know if it was safe to use with EFI pressures. Sweet!!! :hurray:

Thank you very much!
:cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone have fuel cell part numbers?

Quick Reply: Anyone have fuel cell part numbers?