C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question about clutch/trans with drag racing and normal street driving

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2003, 07:51 PM
CDaniel525
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default question about clutch/trans with drag racing and normal street driving

Whenever I race, at the end of the drag strip, i leave it in gear until I downshift to turn. I have been told to do this and not to push the clutch in right after you cross the line. This is something i took for granted and just did. What is the reasoning behind this or have I been told wrong.

Also, if you are at a stop light, which causes more wear on the clutch...leaving the clutch pushed in and keeping the car in gear; or letting the clutch out while having it in neutral.
I always presumed putting it in nuetral is better since pushing the clutch in with it in gear will keep the clutch disc sitting still while the flywheel spun, hence creating friction since the disc is soo close to the flywheel.
A good friend of mine have different opinions on these things, so im curious to find out.
Thanks
Chris
Old 01-20-2003, 08:24 PM
Clink69
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: question about clutch/trans with drag racing and normal street driving (74VETTE)

Chris,

When I race I leave it in 4th until I'm ready to turn also. My motor acts like a brake with the gas off... One time when I poped it in neutral and rode the gas well past the line I nearly hit the bails ..

Chris L. :flag
Old 01-20-2003, 08:35 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Re: question about clutch/trans with drag racing and normal street driving (Clink69)

I'm with you Chris I leave it in gear untill I turn off and at a light I put it in nuetral foot off the clutch.
Old 01-20-2003, 09:02 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: question about clutch/trans with drag racing and normal street driving (74VETTE)

Whenever I race, at the end of the drag strip, i leave it in gear until I downshift to turn. I have been told to do this and not to push the clutch in right after you cross the line. This is something i took for granted and just did. What is the reasoning behind this or have I been told wrong.
I've never heard this one, but as the other members above suggested it is a great natural deceleration aspect to leave the car in gear. The first time officials at the track see rear tail lights on and smoke coming from the back tires while attempting to dump someone in the lights or slow down they will trailer you and tell you to go home since it is dangerous. Most drag strips have plenty of space to slow down before you cut off to the return road, so it's not necessary.

The only time that I can think of where you would want to click into neutral(auto or manual) is if you are running some of the aftermarket oil pans w/ baffles(Hamburger for example) & oil restrictors that unload all of the oil out of the pan to the top of the motor and you have no oil pressure. Some drag racers expect their oil light(tach mounted) to come on as they believe that if they can get all friction off the crank they can run faster. Those people immediately get into neutral after crossing through the speed traps and click the motor off to coast out to allow the oil to gravitate back down before they crank it back up. Those would be your 8 & 9 second cars though.

As a braking hint.... after you go through the speed traps it is best to gradually pump your brakes to slow down rather than apply any kind of constant pressure right off. Most of your aftermarket drag master cylinders are designed that way in the first place as your first attempts will let the pedal go down on the first pressure. One more pump and you have the full pedal to slow down. Slicks tend to hop when they lock, so it is best to not have brakes that can do that. Granted, not many of us have slicks, but the manufacturers have to design for them.
Old 01-21-2003, 04:03 PM
CDaniel525
Melting Slicks

Default Re: question about clutch/trans with drag racing and normal street driving (bgrice)

thanks guys.....but I was wondering if any knew why or if there is a reason this should be done?? Im going to continue to do it since I havent had any problems anyway.
Chris

p.s. whats up gordon!? Havent seen ya in while....are you going to atco anytime soon?
Old 01-21-2003, 06:52 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

As soon as they chip the ice off the strip and it warms up a little. I have not even had the cover off for about 2 months. Looks like a long winter for us
Old 01-21-2003, 08:05 PM
CDaniel525
Melting Slicks

Default Re: question about clutch/trans with drag racing and normal street driving (Gordonm)

Looks like a long winter for us
:iagree:
Old 01-21-2003, 11:13 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,875 Likes on 913 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Default Re: question about clutch/trans with drag racing and normal street driving (Gordonm)

Well, I'm on the opposite side of the fence. I always push in clutch and put it in neutral and coast/brake gradually to the last turnoff. After a hard run I would prefer to have it idling and let all that oil cool things down.

I know it doesn't mean much in the light of road racing where you constantly use the engine to slow car, but the loads are reversed somewhat internally when the wheels are driving the car. Hard on rod bolts etc, but of course they seem to live fine.

If you are trying to read plugs for tuning, you HAVE to kill it immediately so you can get a good reading. Any coasting or idling taints the coloring.

Plus I like to listen to engine for any issues as I slow down. I guess it's all personal opinion.

I put it in neutral at long red lights too. No reason to have load exerted on thrust bearing like that, plus load on throwout bearing.

JIM
Old 01-21-2003, 11:49 PM
69 N.O.X. RATT
Safety Car

Location: Pettis Performance 565 with two stages of Nitrous Supply nitrous 1.082, 4.61 at 155, 7.17 at 192
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: question about clutch/trans with drag racing and normal street driving (427Hotrod)

I agree with Hotrod, and ad when you let it coast in gear after a hard run it creates a high vacuum condition, which can suck oil into the intake runners and past the guides into the combustion chamber.

[Modified by 69 N.O.X. RATT, 4:50 AM 1/22/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To question about clutch/trans with drag racing and normal street driving

Quick Reply: question about clutch/trans with drag racing and normal street driving