C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on buying a Vette

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2003, 05:28 PM
kaz1961
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Advice on buying a Vette

I am thinking about taking the step and buying my first vette. I am looking for a 70-78. Any advice and buying tips would be appreciated. Are there any years to stay away from? Are there any engines to avoid? Are there any areas in these years more prone to rust that should be carefully checked? Looking to spend between 6000 and 8000, I have seen a few nice ones in this price range, is this a good ballpark figure for a decent car of these years? Thanks for any help.
Old 01-20-2003, 05:36 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Default Re: Advice on buying a Vette (kaz1961)

Styling is totally a personal preference, so take a good look at the years in that range & see what lights your fire. As for performance(with a stock motor)- the older Vettes within your target years are better. The 70 models still had high compression motors with less smog stuff. However, most original motors have been modded or replaced by now. Besides, numbers matching cars are pretty hard to find within your price range unless they're in rough condition. If you're not well versed on Vettes, try to find soemone who is that can go with you when you shop- it could save you alotta $$$. Look for something that's in sound condition so you can enjoy driving it right from the start. Good luck. :cheers:

[Modified by Les, 6:37 PM 1/20/2003]
Old 01-20-2003, 05:52 PM
micks69
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First of all welcome to the forum!! :cheers:

I am looking for a 70-78.... I have seen a few nice ones in this price range, is this a good ballpark figure for a decent car of these years?
Have you seen these on the net (every cars a 1 or a solid 2) or in person (reality and other "blemishes" set in)?

I beleive what you will find is a 70/71/72 and 73 for under $8,000 will be a project of sorts, a 74-78 is where I would focus. You can get the most bang for your buck and probably end up with a fairly nice car on the down side though these cars are not appreciating as rapidly as the steel bumper cars.

It all depends on what you want! Drive it, enjoy it and mod it (74-78).

Good luck with your search!!

:reddevil or... you could put $8k down, take a loan out and BUY MINE!!!!!! :)
Old 01-20-2003, 06:03 PM
Shock
Advanced

Cruise-In III Veteran

Welcome to the forum! You will find everyone here is friendly and helpful. I would find a knowledgeable Vette shop to inspect the car for you. When I bought my '72, it was my first Vette. I am a car guy, but my experience is with Porsche's.

I used Corvette & High Performance in Olympia,WA where I live. They spent about 2 hours going over the car with me, showing me places where rust lives etc. Did a compression test and test drive of the car.

Even though I am an experienced car fixer upper and even though I read every little bit of info on the sharks that I could find, I found it worth every penny to know that I had a decent car. My car was rust free down to the radiator support. No damage and an excellent body that had been reworked by someone who knows Corvettes. The only thing that is weird about my car is that the headlights are glassed in and moved to the grill. I can live with that!

Good luck on your search! Personally I love the '72. My favorite.

Mike
1972 L48
Old 01-20-2003, 06:07 PM
73 LS-4
Melting Slicks

One of the best things you can do is to go to one of these big vette shows with someone who knows vettes. I did this with my Uncle who was in the market for one, so I draged him up to Effingham for their big show. He was very undecided as to what he wanted, after being up there for about 3 hours with a few thousand vettes and a hundred questions later we had everything nailed down as to what was in his price range and what options he wanted. He said it was one of the best things he could have done and was glad I dragged him along.

:cheers:
Pat Kunz
Old 01-20-2003, 06:08 PM
OHSIXX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor 03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Default Re: Advice on buying a Vette (Shock)

Don't be in a big hurry. Take your time and you will eventually find the car you want!
Old 01-20-2003, 06:12 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Advice on buying a Vette (Shock)

Corvettes RUST!!! Check the frame in front of the rear wheel, check the trailing arms, rear shock mounts and frame in the rear. Check the windshiled posts in the corners. Don't by a paint job with corvette emblems. do a little research. I always advise buying the nicest one you can find regardless if year. A bad first "vette" can sour you on the cars.

[Modified by silvervetteman, 6:13 PM 1/20/2003]
Old 01-20-2003, 06:55 PM
terryrudy
Drifting

In the 1st paragraph of this page: http://www.corvettefaq.com/c3upgrade.asp there is a link to 3 articles that show what to look for when buying a Vette. I used them when buying mine.
-terry
Old 01-21-2003, 06:29 AM
virtue4u
Team Owner

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

There is a book called Corvette Restoration for 63-82 Vettes. It has 10 rules on buying a vette. What's funny is that rule 10 states that Vettes are a passion, and therefore the reasoning of the first 9 rules are overcome by rule 10. Hee, hee. But seriously, try to avoid passion in buying. Definitely find someone who knows Vettes and try to get them to evaluate the car with you.
Old 01-21-2003, 09:41 AM
zone69
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I just brought my first corvette in Oct.2002 a 69 non-matching convertible i knew very little about these cars, i went on line and learn a little bit more, i did not find this site till after i brought my car i paid 11,500 needs a paint job,air condition needs compressor and brackets,but all other options on car work. i guess my advice would be if you find some thing that works for you buy it the smile on my face when i drive MY car is priceless p.s you might want to have a little cash on the side to fix what ever going to break and it will :lol: (2 days R/S outside door handle won"t open door)
Old 01-21-2003, 12:48 PM
Makonut
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Re: Advice on buying a Vette (zone69)

Tough question. You won`t find a chrome bumper vette (68-72) in very good shape even if it is non-matching numbers in your price range. You could find a later model in driver condition in that range. Can you work on cars. You could find a nice chrome bumper project in that range. If you intend on keeping the car for along time then from a money standpoint the chrome bumper is a wise investment. But if you just want a vette to play around with and not do alot of work on, then the newer model is a much better choice.
Old 01-21-2003, 01:15 PM
TJRed76
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Advice on buying a Vette (Makonut)

Check out http://vettefever85.tripod.com/ownvette.html It shows several good and bad points about different syles and parts.

Good Luck.
Old 01-21-2003, 01:25 PM
ken markusa
Instructor

The best thing to do is not to rush, take your time go to one of the big shows when you look at cars one at a time it's easy to get excited and start thinking that this is the last car on the planet and if i don't buy it there will be no more we've all done that. When you go to one of the big shows you'll realise that there are a LOT of cars for sale and you can really see which are the good ones . If you can wait there is a big show at Carlisle PA. on August 22-24.
Good luck
Ken :cheers: :thumbs:
Old 01-21-2003, 01:45 PM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Default Re: Advice on buying a Vette (silvervetteman)

Corvettes RUST!!! Check the frame in front of the rear wheel, check the trailing arms, rear shock mounts and frame in the rear. Check the windshiled posts in the corners. Don't by a paint job with corvette emblems. do a little research. I always advise buying the nicest one you can find regardless if year. A bad first "vette" can sour you on the cars.
by silvervetteman
Probably your best piece of INFO!!! Don't pass on a Corvette because it has faded carpet or wrong color paint. Those are easy fixes. I look at the integrity of any Corvette I look at. Carpeting, paint, engine detailing, seat covers are cheap compared to a Corvette that needs to have the body pulled off of the frame to replace it!!! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Careful on '76-'82 Corvettes, they have metal floors, watch for rot!!! When I bought my '80, one of the first areas I checked :yesnod:
Another thing to check, and it is very important are your "smog" or emission laws in your state. You may NOT be allowed to license an "exhaust modified" Corvette. My '75 Corvette, if I lived one county north, I would'nt be able to license it for street use(I have "true dual exhaust" on it) :crazy: 1975 and up Corvettes came factory with converters-many have been changed :lol:
Good luck, and ask away-that's why WE are all here-you can't read about these kinds of experiences we've had here in any magazine :lol: :lol: :lol:

Get notified of new replies

To Advice on buying a Vette

Quick Reply: Advice on buying a Vette