C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who makes the quietest sidepipe mufflers??????????????????

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2003, 05:15 PM
fredfryguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who makes the quietest sidepipe mufflers??????????????????

OK guys, you going to think I'm over the hill and maybe I am but after a two hour trip with my 454 with factory sidepipes I get a headache!I drove the car to one of my places of business in the next county some 130 miles round trip. It's like being inside a steel drum while someone is beating it with a hammer. Who makes the quietest side exhaust mufflers?
I do like the sidepipes for looks but the noise takes a lot of enjoyment out of the car. My car does not have the exhaust opening in the rear panel anymore. Help! :confused: :confused: :confused: :seeya
Old 01-20-2003, 05:55 PM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Who makes the quietest sidepipe mufflers?????????????????? (fredfryguy)

Fred, from every car I've heard with side pipes I think the terms "quiet" and "Sidepipes" are mutually exclusive. I can tell you this. I have Dynomax Ultraflows on my 74 350 and I like their sound. They are basically glasspacks but sound quiet at idle and not loud until you step on the gas. Maybe someone can chime in on this but I always wondered if you could get the long stainless mufflers that you see in a lot of the hot rod mags and have them grafted on to the sidepipes. It would seem that if my Ultraflows sound good with only a 14" case full of fiberglass packing a case that's 28 inches or longer would probably sound very good. You could probably get the tubes in the size needed to fit under the covers. All that would need to be done is fabricate a pipe from the manifold to the muffler and then add turnouts at the end. Just a thought on something you might like to look into. Good luck. :seeya
Old 01-20-2003, 05:57 PM
micks69
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Who makes the quietest sidepipe mufflers?????????????????? (fredfryguy)

Try these guys they can build them with more baffling if you want. I have a set ordered but have not picked them up yet.

And I agree side pipes are cool for about 45 minutes!!!
http://www.stainlessworks.net/
Old 01-20-2003, 06:06 PM
Robert N
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Who makes the quietest sidepipe mufflers?????????????????? (micks69)

You CAN convert the rear valance back tot he stock set up with the rear openings. Pulled my pipes and went back to rear exit.
Old 01-20-2003, 06:35 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

I had the 69 style on for a few cruises and have to agree that they are deafening. SuperFast80 and I got a little carried away one night and went through the same tunnel about 6 times at 6500 rpm. When we got out of the vette, we were only standing 3 feet apart but had to yell at each other - both of us were nearly deaf. But it was fun. :D
Oh ya, I have Ultraflows on know and no permanent hearing loss occured. :lol:
Old 01-20-2003, 08:41 PM
fredfryguy
Instructor

Default Re: Who makes the quietest sidepipe mufflers?????????????????? (micks69)

Try these guys they can build them with more baffling if you want. I have a set ordered but have not picked them up yet.

And I agree side pipes are cool for about 45 minutes!!!
Hi Mick, Thanks for the input. Let me know how yours work out! Are you getting a muffler that will fit under the stock covers? Fred :cheers:
Old 01-20-2003, 08:56 PM
micks69
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes they make them in both aluminized and SS.
Old 01-20-2003, 08:58 PM
fredfryguy
Instructor

Default Re: Who makes the quietest sidepipe mufflers?????????????????? (vettfixr)

Good idea, I'll look into. Fred :cheers:
Old 01-20-2003, 10:58 PM
Barry's70LT1
Drifting

Received 825 Likes on 242 Posts

Check these guys as well.
Not sure if they offer anything quieter, however they have other than stock options. http://www.sweet-thunder.com/ses_68-74_vette.htm

[Modified by Barry's70LT1, 11:58 PM 1/20/2003]
Old 01-20-2003, 11:12 PM
fredfryguy
Instructor

Default Re: Who makes the quietest sidepipe mufflers?????????????????? (Barry's70LT1)

Thanks Barry, I'll check them out. Fred :seeya
Old 01-21-2003, 08:56 PM
fredfryguy
Instructor

Somebody must have a set of quiet sidepipes!? Let's hear from ya! Fred :flag
Old 01-23-2003, 12:27 PM
fredfryguy
Instructor

ttt :smash: :smash: :smash: :cheers:
Old 01-23-2003, 03:32 PM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Does the lack of response tell you anything Fred? :lol: Like I said, i think quiet and sidepipes are mutually exclusive. :yesnod:
Old 01-23-2003, 03:43 PM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Who makes the quietest sidepipe mufflers?????????????????? (gdh)

I had the 69 style on for a few cruises and have to agree that they are deafening. SuperFast80 and I got a little carried away one night and went through the same tunnel about 6 times at 6500 rpm. When we got out of the vette, we were only standing 3 feet apart but had to yell at each other - both of us were nearly deaf. But it was fun. :D
Oh ya, I have Ultraflows on know and no permanent hearing loss occured. :lol:
Woo hoo - I bought Superfast 80's pipes :lol: :lol: whaahahaha - looking forward to YELLING A LOT :lol:
Old 01-23-2003, 04:11 PM
Chuck Harmon
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Fred,

To make your fatcory setup quieter than it is, you could install an additional muffler between the side pipe and the iron exhaust manifold (or hearder). If you used the same area my hooker side pipes use with the 4x2.25" pipes side by side under the car, you could probably fit a pretty good sized muffler. Shouldn't be too hard splicing into your single 2" pipe. I can think ofseveral styles that might work.

Chuck
Old 01-23-2003, 04:50 PM
fredfryguy
Instructor

Default Re: Who makes the quietest sidepipe mufflers?????????????????? (Chuck Harmon)

Hey Chuck, I'll look into that idea! I check your website out and i't's :cool: :cool: :cool: ! The sidepipes with the JCL baffles, do you have any idea how they stack up to the factory sidepipes, sound wise? Louder of mellower? I think it is the harshness of the sound I object to. Anyway thanks for the tips. Fred the fryguy :crazy: :crazy: :lolg: :lolg:
Old 01-23-2003, 05:18 PM
Chuck Harmon
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Fred,

I recently posted on this elsewhere, but if you were to add a balance tube joining the two sides, under the trans behind the bell housing, it would give a great measure of mellowness to the sound. You would be doubling the exhaust pulses which makes it sound much smoother, less of a staccato sound.

Chuck

p.s. Jim does make a spiral baffle for your type of side pipe type too. I don't know if it is quieter or not; but, I have no doubt that it will make more power. You could still add an additonal muffler and/or balance tube ahead of it too.

[Modified by Chuck Harmon, 9:11 PM 1/23/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To Who makes the quietest sidepipe mufflers??????????????????

Old 01-23-2003, 08:03 PM
wayne_69_427
Pro

Lets put it this way I do not listen to the radio anyway and you dont chit chat with you wife on trips, but you do get to enjoy the Corvette perform at its best
Old 01-24-2003, 10:13 AM
fredfryguy
Instructor

Default Re: Who makes the quietest sidepipe mufflers?????????????????? (Chuck Harmon)

Chuck

p.s. Jim does make a spiral baffle for your type of side pipe type too. I don't know if it is quieter or not; but, I have no doubt that it will make more power. You could still add an additonal muffler and/or balance tube ahead of it too.

Anybody out there go from the factory sidepipe to Jim-JCL pipes with an opinion of which is louder? The extra muffler is a good idea. Where can I get a short muffler?
Fred :confused: :confused: :smash: :smash: :cheers: :cheers: :party:
Old 01-24-2003, 10:38 AM
MassVette
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had the factory sidepipes on the '79 when it had the 350 in it. The Hooker system on the ZZ/502, with JCL baffles is quieter, believe it or not!
BTW, the stainless steel systems ring louder than the aluminized mild steel ones.
:yesnod: :chevy :chevy :yesnod:

Quick Reply: Who makes the quietest sidepipe mufflers??????????????????