C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sharkbar harness bar

Old 01-20-2003, 04:04 PM
Monty
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Sharkbar harness bar

I just ordered a harness bar (and submarine strap brackets) from Vetteworks and was wondering which style 5 point harness I need to buy for it - Individual, Y-type, or V-type - as well as any special length? Thanks.
Old 01-20-2003, 07:03 PM
vettedan
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Sharkbar harness bar (Monty)

Monty- You will need Individual style. I'm sending you e-mail in an hour for more details.
Thanks,
Dan
Old 01-20-2003, 07:26 PM
C3 Shark Tank
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Sharkbar harness bar (vettedan)

Here ya go Monty :D The G-Force belts were about $30 a side cheaper than the Simpsons. Individual 5 point belts. Got them from JEG's.

[Modified by C3 Shark Tank, 7:28 PM 1/20/2003]
Old 01-20-2003, 07:48 PM
Monty
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Sharkbar harness bar (C3 Shark Tank)

That looks sharp! So the answer is just "individual", no special length?

Any pro's cons for Simpson, G-Force, Crow? Obviously Simpson is the most well known, but I've seen the others show up alot more lately. I often wonder if that's any residual repercussions from Earnhardt's death and that whole fiasco. I'm leaning towards the 1/4 turn camlock clasp.

Old 01-20-2003, 08:04 PM
C3 Shark Tank
Safety Car

Thanks! Yes, just plain individual, one size fits all. It might take some adjusting to fit the belts right, I found that putting the metal loop where the belt slides through right about on the side of the seats worked best for me...you can see it right below the camera lense. My preference on belts was dictated by price, they all looked the same to me, though I was tempted to spend a little more and get the cam lock ones.

If you want part #'s or more pics let me know. I think you'll really like the Shark Bar and Dan was really helpful during my install, I got the first one and the directions weren't finished yet....they are now and you should have no problems. Here's a few more pics just in case; Shark Bar II Install
Old 01-20-2003, 08:19 PM
QuickVet
Race Director

do you think this setup is NHRA legal?
Old 01-20-2003, 08:27 PM
C3 Shark Tank
Safety Car

Default Re: Sharkbar harness bar (QuickVet)

According to Dan it exceeds NHRA requirements.
Old 01-21-2003, 12:36 AM
Shock
Advanced

Cruise-In III Veteran

I think I would get the Sabelts from Racers Warehouse. They are a bunch more dough, but they are SCCA and FIA legal. The NHRA spec is much looser

Mike
Old 01-21-2003, 07:06 AM
Clink69
Drifting

Default Re: Sharkbar harness bar (vettedan)

Dan,

Any more word on the BAR for 69s?

chris :flag
Old 01-21-2003, 08:29 AM
'79ProwlerOrange
Safety Car

Default Re: Sharkbar harness bar (Clink69)

Dan,

You have an IM :D
Old 01-21-2003, 08:36 AM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Received 161 Likes on 49 Posts

Default Re: Sharkbar harness bar (C3 Shark Tank)

Has anyone put this setup in a convertible? Do these kits work in a convertible? Any pics of these installed in a convertible?

In case you haven't guessed I have a convertible. :jester :D
Old 01-21-2003, 08:46 AM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Hey Monty, have you checked what Sparco and MOMO has for offer? I'm getting Sparco's 4-point harness for my car. :cheers:
Old 01-21-2003, 08:56 AM
Red73
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Sharkbar harness bar (Clink69)

Dan, I have my check ready for one for a 73, any update? Rod
Old 01-21-2003, 10:32 AM
Monty
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Sharkbar harness bar (groovyjay)

Groovyjay and Shock,

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check them out. The Momo and Sparco are actually good choices for me becuase one of the things I am working on is a paddle shifter setup for my 4L80E. The electronic transmission controller has the ability to "manually" shift up and down by grounding a couple of wire leads. Two momentary contact switches are all that's needed, one to upshift, the other to downshift. Both Sparco and Momo make steering wheels with built in push button switches on the steering wheel arms. The buttons are intended for a horn, but I can utilize the stock center horn button for that.

My problem is my car is white, with camel leather interior. Most of the belts are only offered in black, blue, and red. I guess I'll go with black, I don't want it to look "ricer-ish". If my car was red or something the colored belts would look sharp like the one pictured. Too bad no one offers them in tan...I was thinking about getting the black belts and them having an upholstery shop makes some tan leather covers/pads for them.
Old 01-21-2003, 10:59 AM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

one of the things I am working on is a paddle shifter setup for my 4L80E.
Mmm, sounds very nice indeed, sounds very Formula1! :steering: I love it!!! This is the steering wheel I'm getting:

I'm just gonna keep the horn buttons as they are. I'm getting black harness with black harness pads to match my black interior. Keep us updated on your progress man!
Old 01-21-2003, 11:40 AM
ylose
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Sharkbar harness bar (groovyjay)

I have Vettedan's harness bar for the later C3's.....I hope to get it installed soon and post a write up for you guys...I will take some pictures of it tonight..(still in box) but I did install the free T-shirt Dan sent...without looking at the instructions too !! :lolg:

[Modified by ylose, 10:41 AM 1/21/2003]
Old 01-21-2003, 05:49 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,327 Likes on 1,057 Posts

I have owned both the Simpson 3 inch with cam lock and the R.J.S. 3 inch with cam lock. Every few years the SFI rating goes and you have to send them back. So I just decided to try something different

IMO - The RJS cam lock is the fastest unlock even without looking and wearing fireproof gloves. You have to remember that with my helmet and neck brace you can't see down. I'm often alone and I've learned how to strap in and tighten everything down on my own. I can loosen the RJS shoulder straps on the fly where I can remember fumbling with the Simpsons.

I've seen trick stuff at races, But I don't know where they come from. They have an whole padded breast plate. They also pad the shoulder three inch shoulder straps and it comes across your chest for sternium protection. I personally don't ever intend to hit anything so I don't need it anyway :seeya

Get notified of new replies

To Sharkbar harness bar

Old 01-21-2003, 05:55 PM
Clink69
Drifting

Default Re: Sharkbar harness bar (gkull)

IMO - The RJS cam lock is the fastest unlock even without looking and wearing fireproof gloves. You have to remember that with my helmet and neck brace you can't see down. I'm often alone and I've learned how to strap in and tighten everything down on my own. I can loosen the RJS shoulder straps on the fly where I can remember fumbling with the Simpsons.
That NO FUMBLE factor might come in handy if you ever have a fire... I would personally consider that Very important...

Chris :flag
Old 01-21-2003, 06:18 PM
Monty
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Sharkbar harness bar

I think I'm going to go with the Sparco stuff. I looked into it today and it seems they have the preferred kamlock design - TRW.

BTW, I got the camera mount as well for the Sharkbar. I bought a new digital camcorder for Christmas so as soon as Winter lets up, I'm gonna take some videos.
Old 01-21-2003, 06:36 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,327 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Monty - I'll check out the belts on the Sparco site. I just never even gave it much thought with Summit Racing right here

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sharkbar harness bar