C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ready for the Street Once Again

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2003, 03:55 PM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Default Ready for the Street Once Again

I've had the 1980 up on jack stands for the past 4-5 weeks replacing transmission seals, new TV-made-EZ system from Bow-Tie Overdrives, re-coating jet-hot headers, replacing front/rear parking brake cables (and bleeding those rear calipers), adding copper exhaust manifold gaskets, adding new transmission cooling lines, fresh ACDelco R45TS spark plugs, fresh engine oil/filter, trans oil/filter, etc.

It's amazing how easy it has become to pull massive quantities of parts off of this car and then to return them to the correct places. I actually don't have any (unexpected!!!) left-over parts. The garage looks more like a place for parking cars once again vs. a place for repairing cars & storing car parts.

The wife isn't complaining as much either now that I'm also parting ways with the motor cycle; she may get to park inside soon (2-car/1 motorcycle garage soon to return to 3-car garage configuration!)!

Other than a few minor adjustments (trans cooling hoses need slight adjustment) and dialing in the new TVS system on the 700R4, life is good. This trans doesn't leak anymore!!! For those that are wondering, I had to replace the selector shaft and seal; the shaft was scored from folks damaging it during seal installation and the seal had never been installed fully (causing a persistent leak).

The headers also look alot better with the fresh Jet-Hot coating (left header had peeled on #7 cylinder). I added the Mr gasket copper seal exhaust gaskets and this engine has never been quieter (those blased paper gaskets were worse than useless).

I'm happy :seeya
Old 01-20-2003, 04:37 PM
Chris@VetteFinders
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Ready for the Street Once Again (TedH)

Glad you got all that done.

I howver, was nto so lucky. I replaced my speedo seals as well as the shifter shaft seal. Well, neither of those places leak now, but fluid is still coming out from somewhere above the Transmission mount. I have no idea where it is coming from. Its not the rear seal to the driveshaft, but somewhere else in front of that. Any ideas?

Are you going to the NCRS show?
Old 01-20-2003, 05:42 PM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Ready for the Street Once Again (Chris@VetteFinders)

There is a small white vent hose/tube that protrudes out of the top/middle of the trans case. It is meant to allow fluid to escape in the event of overfill only (I believe). Other than there, I don't see where it would get out of the case.
Old 01-20-2003, 05:43 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Glad you got that transmission leak fixed. Now it's my turn: front pump seal.
Old 01-22-2003, 12:32 PM
Chris@VetteFinders

There is a small white vent hose/tube that protrudes out of the top/middle of the trans case. It is meant to allow fluid to escape in the event of overfill only (I believe). Other than there, I don't see where it would get out of the case.

Well, next week I'll take it apart for the FOURTH time
Old 01-22-2003, 03:05 PM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Have you had the slip yoke rebuilt or machined recently? If not the rear seal, there is a bushing that is inside the tailshaft that may be a problem (at least that is what the transmission shop said they replaced along with the rear seal). I had my original driveshaft slip yoke machined when it was shortened to accomodate the 700R4. Turned out, the driveshaft shop took too much material off of the slip yoke and it no longer sealed against the surface of the rear seal. May be worth a look. Also, on the left or right rear of the transmission is a round black stamped steel cover that is held on by a perimeter clip. That may be a problem area worth checking. You may also want to check either the dipstick tube gasket or the TVS/Kick-down cable where it enters the case above the drain pan on the passenger side of the trans.

A real long shot would be a cracked or damaged case but I've only seen one of these (my brother's 73 Camaro) and resulted from excessive abuse (doughnuts and too many holeshots)!!!

Is the NCRS in Orlando approaching? Sure would like to cruise over there in the C3 and check in with Silvervetteman and his 1969 427.
Old 01-22-2003, 04:51 PM
Chris@VetteFinders

I know its not the round cover and it really don't look like any fluid is coming out around the tail shaft. It has to be somewhere right behind the speedo gear, but a few inches higher. I guess I'll have to take it apart again. Thanks for the tips.

We are doing a caravan over to NCRS Sat. morning. There is a post in the Southeast forum.
Old 01-22-2003, 04:52 PM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Thx. I'll check out the caravan.

Get notified of new replies

To Ready for the Street Once Again

Quick Reply: Ready for the Street Once Again