C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers a problem for anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2003, 02:59 PM
Captain_Kaboom
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Headers a problem for anyone?

Hi all,

In the process of getting my new ATK 240 hp engine installed, and I figured it was a good time to go ahead and add headers. My mechanic recommended against them- saying that the heat can really damage them & maybe the car. So of course I started scanning the forum for old threads and found quite a bit of discussion on the heat, glowing headers, etc. from the excess fuel burning in the headers. I was really quite surprised! That being said, I wanted to get the forum's opinion on headers.

I'm only planning on using the ole '77 for a daily driver- even with my mild engine, would I have similar problems with the headers? The cam is an even 247/247 and stock distributor.

I'd appreciate any advice!

Old 01-20-2003, 03:03 PM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Default Re: Headers a problem for anyone? (Captain_Kaboom)

Unless you start boosting performance, don't bother with headers. I added them only after adding heads, cam, carb/intake and other items; felt the exh manifolds would keep me from realizing the engine's potential.

If 'max power' isn't a consideration, I'd just run duals off of your exhaust manifolds.
Old 01-20-2003, 04:09 PM
Captain_Kaboom
Racer

Default Re: Headers a problem for anyone? (TedH)

She's already got duals. No emissions for this beast, so I just wanted to let it breathe as much as possible. Intake and carb are next, but I am going to stick with stock cam and heads since they are new, anyway. Would the headers help with this application, then?

Thanks!
Old 01-20-2003, 04:21 PM
72LT1Steve
Instructor

Currently running Hooker ceramic coated headers on the LT into a 3" exhaust :thumbs: Have not expeirenced any heat related problems with them. I figure a standard pipe header would run hotter in the engine bay.
Old 01-20-2003, 08:36 PM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes, some more power & even gas milage. You might want to see what many refer to as my Exhaust topic.
Why Exhaust is problem for HP on 75-81 http://www.corvettefaq.com/c3/ganeyexhaust.htm

What you really need is More Cam- strongly rec. for performance !

:cool:
Old 01-20-2003, 11:05 PM
Barry's70LT1
Drifting

Received 831 Likes on 242 Posts

I've had headers on mine for over 30 years now. No problems of any kind as yet.
Barry
Old 01-21-2003, 06:52 AM
Jason Staley
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

I've been using Dynomax's Ceramic coated headers for several years now with no problems. You can get them through Jeg's for $225. I've had no problem with heat, but I did have to put some head shielding around the engine's ground cable on the passanger side because it came too close to the header. Other than that, they fit perfect and work great. Go fot it. :cheers:
Old 01-21-2003, 10:18 AM
Stewart's74
Safety Car

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Re: Headers a problem for anyone? (Jason Staley)

:iagree: No problems whatsoever
Old 01-22-2003, 09:31 AM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

If you run ceramic coated headers in about 15 minutes after shutting your car down, the headers are cool enough to work on the car without worrying about burning yourself. You can't do that with cast iron manifolds.
The Dynomax ceramic coated headers are coated inside and outside, and although they do get hot they radiate less heat than uncoated or painted headers do.
Old 01-22-2003, 09:46 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: Headers a problem for anyone? (Smokehouse69)

Tell you my experiences with headers vs stock rams horns...
in my '72 the car was stock when I got it, except body/paint...one of the first things I did was add DPFI L98 setup on the stock L48 rebuilt engine...keeping stock exhaust...the iron manifolds would get super hot of course, and when stopping sat at a shopping center down here in Florida, I would notice the entire engine compartment area was hot as hell....I mean I thought the damn hood would melt.....lean burn...closed loop...hotter than the carb...
at any rate, when redoing the engine to hotrod, adding about 150 some odd hp....I went headers...and found the car to run much COOLER no heat mass sitting there with the engine off and no air circulation just baking hell out of everything ran like a charm....never a problem....except the flange...only 1/4 inch some odd steel, and leaked they also had weld bead next to the heads...bad construction practice....

last winter, when doing rack..I changed to another header with thicker flange..full 3/8 thick..and NO welding bead next to head....
runs like a charm....NO leakage problems in nearly a year now...check bolts and never had to tighten them...this with aluminum heads no less!!!

GENE
Old 01-22-2003, 02:28 PM
BERLINBRIGADE
Intermediate

I can not put a normal diameter oil filter on mine. I had a remote one on the frame for 15 years. I finally made an aluminum adapter and use a smaller dia. that fits the same threads.
Old 01-22-2003, 02:34 PM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Headers will help practically any application. If you add cam and heads with the headers, you will notice the most improvement. If I were staying with stock heads and cam, I'd just stay with exhaust manifolds and dual exhaust.

Get notified of new replies

To Headers a problem for anyone?

Quick Reply: Headers a problem for anyone?