C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So the project begins

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2003, 02:52 PM
MRZ28HO
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default So the project begins

I was talking to my father about his 1978 Corvette on Friday night. Trying to persuade him to get it done right and registered. Well, we decided to address the needed issues on Saturday. We needed to replace the water pump, so he purchased a new one at the local parts store. Then I mention, well, since we are there and I have these nice OEM chromed valve covers, let's put them on. But, wouldn't a chromed timing cover look good with the chromed valve covers? Since we are changing out the timing cover, we also need a new oil pan (it's dented) ... let's get a chromed one too. Since the oil pan is off, now is a great time to replace the vital oil pump. Wouldn't want to button it up, then find out it dies. :eek: Well, since we are doing all this, that timing chain is probably very worn out, let's put a double roller in it. You know, since the timing chain will be out, should we put in a better (smog legal) cam? We decided not to, but only after seeing the lifters and cam journals through the holes in the block. For that, we needed to remove the intake manifold. It was an iron one! Hmm, cam looks good. So then we looked at the intake ports, talk about carbon build up (caused by leaking seals). So off go the heads. Well we are in this deep, I'll pay for the cam and lifters, so now to find a good cam. That was no easy task trying to find. I settled on a Comp Cam 212/218 (adv. 260/268), .474" lift (using 1.6 ratio), with a 110 ICL on a 114 LSA. This is actually Comp Cam's biggest smog legal TPI (flat-tappet) cam. Not a bad choice, I'd say. So we will be replacing the belts, hoses and other misc. stuff in the next month. We finished at about 8 PM or 9 PM. Dead tired, since we started at 10 AM. So Sunday I get up late at 8 AM, take care of a few items on the SS, while my father picks up some items at PAW. When he gets back, we head down to a friend's shop in Anahiem, so he can rebuild the heads (add a little of his magic dust ;) ) and port match them to the intake that is currently on my Z28 down there (dual plane Holley modified for a Rochester). My buddy might be able to score us some 64 cc heads to replace the 76cc OEMs. This should bump the CR to 9.2:1 and the 'vette should put out around 260 rwhp and 300 rwtq on the original, numbers matching, short block. Not bad for an old "Corvette". :yesnod: Same numbers as my 1994 LT1, T56 with only CIA and a cat-back. :lol:
Old 01-20-2003, 04:06 PM
verskel
Safety Car

Default Re: So the project begins (MRZ28HO)

Whoa there, cowboy.....ya sure about the 64cc heads ?!?!

That'll bump it up to more like 10:1 with flat top pistons ! :eek: .....I'd suggest no more than 68cc if possible. Yikes....just trying to help out here. :smash: :crazy:
Old 01-20-2003, 04:24 PM
MRZ28HO
Advanced

Default Re: So the project begins (verskel)

Well, they are not flat tops. They are OEM dished pistons. It won't get that high going from the OEM 8.2:1 CR. :) Thanks for looking out, though. :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To So the project begins

Quick Reply: So the project begins