C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need suggestions to overcome this issue Drv shaft Ujoint/ Yoke missmatch

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2003, 12:28 PM
BeachinVette
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I need suggestions to overcome this issue Drv shaft Ujoint/ Yoke missmatch

I purchased a 69 drive shaft for my auto to manual conversion. The Ujoint on the drv shaft Ujoint is wider than the the Yoke. Any suggestions?
Thanks Bob
Old 01-20-2003, 01:18 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,877 Likes on 915 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Default Re: I need suggestions to overcome this issue Drv shaft Ujoint/ Yoke missmatch (76 Red)

I don't know all the numbers off hand, but go to anny driveshaft shop and they will fix you up easily. They make "two size" u-joints with different measurement on each cross. Some even came from factory that way.

Of course, best is to get larger yoke for trans..probably a 1350 series one it looks like.

JIM
Old 01-20-2003, 01:29 PM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: I need suggestions to overcome this issue Drv shaft Ujoint/ Yoke missmatch (427Hotrod)

In the past I had to use one of these U-joints with different dimentions on each side. It was when swapped a chevy 12 bolt rear into a 71 olds. In addition, I currently use one of these joints in my 84 K5 Blazer. That truck comes with a 10 bolt rear fron the factory. I also swapped in a 12 bolt rear into that which required the use of the same offset joint. I recently had to replace that joint. Went to Auto Zone and found that thier reference material could not find a part for me. Then went to Pep Boys and they fixed me up with what I needed.

Neapco Inc. PN: 3-3130 This might be the exact joint that you could use.
Old 01-20-2003, 06:26 PM
Chris69
Burning Brakes

Default Re: I need suggestions to overcome this issue Drv shaft Ujoint/ Yoke missmatch (76 Red)

Mine kinda looked like that (maybe not as much) and it just turned out that the cups (spicer) were not seated all the way. I used a C clamp to squeeze them together, and after removing the clamp it went right in. You might want to measure the yokes themselves to see if they're the same inside width, just to be sure.
Old 01-20-2003, 06:27 PM
BeachinVette
Drifting

Default Re: I need suggestions to overcome this issue Drv shaft Ujoint/ Yoke missmatch (Chris81)

I'm gonna do that right now Chris.
Thanks
Bob
Old 01-20-2003, 06:32 PM
BeachinVette
Drifting

Default Re: I need suggestions to overcome this issue Drv shaft Ujoint/ Yoke missmatch (Chris81)

That did not work. It is 1/2 to wide. I am going to look into different sized ends.
Thanks everyone
Bob

Get notified of new replies

To I need suggestions to overcome this issue Drv shaft Ujoint/ Yoke missmatch

Quick Reply: I need suggestions to overcome this issue Drv shaft Ujoint/ Yoke missmatch