C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why are HOOKER HEADERS so much more expensive?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2003, 09:09 AM
woodenichols
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Why are HOOKER HEADERS so much more expensive?

Looking to put headers on the 68 and I'm just curious. Are the HOOKER'S really worth the extra money?

Steve
Old 01-20-2003, 09:17 AM
J75
Racer

Default Re: Why are HOOKER HEADERS so much more expensive? (woodenichols)

To me yes.Others may not agree,but I truly feel you get what you pay for.I have coated Hooker comps.Easy no denting,dinging or :cuss installation.Thick flanges and no leaks,and nice power increase.What more could you ask? :D
Old 01-20-2003, 02:19 PM
70PurpleLS7
Burning Brakes

Now you specifically said "headers" not their sidepipe setups. If you were to ask me this question a few years back, I would of said "yes", but not anymore. The thing with Hooker is they have a header for many other applications that the other over-the-counter manufactures (Dynomax, Hedman, etc) do not make, so someones gotta pay for that availability for "exotic" applications.

For the vette, Hedman and Dynomax both make quality products for the car, if anything I've heard the above manufactures coatings are much better then the coating Hooker uses.

BTW - I had Hedman's HPC coated ones on mine, and it was one of the easiest installs I've ever done.

Granted if ya want to spend that x-tra money so you can say you have "Hooker" headers, by all means do it.

Just my .02 cents.

[Modified by 70PurpleLS7, 2:20 PM 1/20/2003]
Old 01-20-2003, 02:23 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

I am not sure if they are worth it.........However the Dynomax are great quality at a great price......Mine have been on for two years with no discoloration or loss of coating

[Modified by Alwyn678, 2:49 PM 1/20/2003]
Old 01-20-2003, 02:30 PM
Ryan77
Drifting

Default Re: Why are HOOKER HEADERS so much more expensive? (Alwyn678)

My Hedman coated headers have been on my vette for 3 months and are already starting to discolor :mad :cuss . But they were only $255, so you get what you pay for. If I had to do it all over again, I'd get a set of the Jet-Hot coated Hooker's :yesnod:
Old 01-20-2003, 04:07 PM
woodenichols
Racer

Default Re: Why are HOOKER HEADERS so much more expensive? (Alwyn678)

Thanks. I'm kind of leaning towards the Dynomax at $250 delivered.
HOOKERS are more than twice this amount. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. Thanks for the input! :cheers:

Steve
Old 01-20-2003, 06:23 PM
A C
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I had two sets of Dynomax coated headers. I had to send them both back. The first set came with two left headers (DUH!), and the second set had the correct left header, but the right header had a collector that would not allow hooking up the exhaust, it was too high and would have been into the floor. I am sure I got an incorrect right header. After two tries, I bought Hooker Competition coated headers. They are actually 100 bucks more (not 200 like the Super Comps), and I got the right set the first time.

AC
Old 01-20-2003, 08:01 PM
Solidlifters
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as "why the're so much more expensive", I don't know. What I do know is that I've got a set on a 427 Biscayne, a 69 Camaro with an LS7 crate motor and just ordered a set for a 55 Chev/540 project. (which haven't come in yet) The new step tube set for the 55 is over $600. At least in the case of the ones I've already got, they fit good, look good, hold up well, and I just plain like em. I think the "you get what you pay for" comment is dead on in this case.
Old 01-20-2003, 08:25 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default hold on there a minute!!!!

Thanks. I'm kind of leaning towards the Dynomax at $250 delivered.
HOOKERS are more than twice this amount. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. Thanks for the input! :cheers:

Steve
Last time i checked (which admitedly was about 2 years ago) Dynomax did not make headers for a bigblock vette. Has that changed? Based on problems I have heard with Hookers own coating I got Hooker Supercomps Jet Hot coated (Direct from Jet Hot). They look great sitting in my basement !
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: MJ
Old 01-20-2003, 09:04 PM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Why are HOOKER HEADERS so much more expensive? (70PurpleLS7)

... If you were to ask me this question a few years back, I would of said "yes", but not anymore. ...

For the vette, Hedman and Dynomax both make quality products for the car, if anything I've heard the above manufactures coatings are much better then the coating Hooker uses.

BTW - I had Hedman's HPC coated ones on mine, and it was one of the easiest installs I've ever done.

Granted if ya want to spend that x-tra money so you can say you have "Hooker" headers, by all means do it.

Just my .02 cents.
by 70PurpleLS7, 2:20 PM 1/20/2003]
Believe it or not. Just because something is more exp., it is not necessarily better. Any business class will tell you to charge whatever you can get away with- normally phrased as whatever the market will bear.
Also has to do w/ volume.
One time I bought a plastic tray for about $65 for the jack rear storage compartment. Don't recall why but a g/f said it was way overpriced. Evidently she was not aware at the time that she did not get an opinion. Sometimes it is just nice to be able to get something even if it is "high". Anyway was worth it to get something that fit & was as described.

You can get both good products & fit.
Hedman BB and Dynomax Cerama SB both REC.!

:cool:

Get notified of new replies

To Why are HOOKER HEADERS so much more expensive?

Quick Reply: Why are HOOKER HEADERS so much more expensive?