C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Near Miss @ 60MPH

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2003, 06:40 AM
Mystery Machine
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Near Miss @ 60MPH

I have to say that I am totally impressed by the Corvette handling and drivability. Saturady evening me and a friend are heading home from Orlando, the roads are barely lit at all (we are travelling through a small rural town East of Orlando) with sparce streetlights. Anyway, I'm driving about 60 or so in the right hand lane and my friend yells, I see what appears to be a large, metal object in the middle of the lane (actually it took up the entire lane) maybe 30 feet in front of us, so I hit the brakes and swerve to the left. The car barely fishtaled at all then straitened right out and came back under total control. I was blown away, I thought for sure we would end up sideways in the median. I have done nothing to the suspension or steering other than new U Joints and power steering hoses and pump. so this is pretty much 30 year old technology and it performed perfectly! :thumbs:

Anyway, all ended up well and no damage done. Looking back on it maybe I should have hit it and claimed on my insurance so I could fix my deteriorating front bumper. Oh well, better that we avoided it and no injuries were incurred. :hurray:
Old 01-20-2003, 07:31 AM
'79ProwlerOrange
Safety Car

Default Re: Near Miss @ 60MPH (Mystery Machine)

:eek: :eek: :eek: i was totally impressed with mine a couple years back. on the highway everyones doing 60-75 and suddenly everyone slams on thier brakes, so i did the same. i slammed hard and swirved to the left, and while it stopped on a dime, didnt lock the brakes, and i had total control, if i handt swirved, i would have become one with the car in front of me. :crazy:

spooky stuff
Old 01-20-2003, 07:38 AM
RMVette
Race Director

Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts

Glad you two weren't hurt! :cheers:
Old 01-20-2003, 07:57 AM
Mystery Machine
Drifting

Default Re: Near Miss @ 60MPH (RMVette)

Thanks, these cars were built to handle that's for sure. :yesnod:
Old 01-20-2003, 10:07 AM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

That's what I keep telling the SUV folks. They look at my Vette and go "what if you're in a wreck? My SUV is sooooo much safer". My reply is "Since my Vette doesn't handle like a pig I can AVOID the crash in the first place".
Old 01-20-2003, 12:28 PM
LiveandLetDrive
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Re: Near Miss @ 60MPH (zwede)

2 days ago I was cut off by some nutcase, but if it hadn't been for the brakes it would be more like "I was directly run into." Before I replace my calipers I was sucking air left and right, scary to think where I'd be if my pedal had sunk to the floor like it used to! The horn and my middle fingers were also very responsive :blueangel:
-Chris
Old 01-20-2003, 12:44 PM
Mystery Machine
Drifting

Default Re: Near Miss @ 60MPH (RUXperienced)

2 days ago I was cut off by some nutcase
You should try driving FL during the winter...blue hair as far as the eye can see. Sometimes all you see is a pair of knuckles on the steering wheel and a tuft of blue hair. God bless 'em but for heaven's sake they should NOT be driving! :eek:
Old 01-20-2003, 03:29 PM
tshort
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 7-8 Veteran

Anyway, I'm driving about 60 or so in the right hand lane and my friend yells, I see what appears to be a large, metal object in the middle of the lane (actually it took up the entire lane) maybe 30 feet in front of us, so I hit the brakes and swerve to the left.
:lol: :lol: , when I first read this I read it as...'and my friend yells,"I see what appears to be...."...'
But then I realized you meant that he just yelled and then you were explaining what you saw. I thought that was kinda funny.

But yeah, I've had a nice experience like that too.
I had just moved to Houston and at the time only had the vette and a motorcycle (I must of had a death wish). Anyways I was driving by the dealerships looking for a truck to buy. Well, on the feader road on I-10 it is 2-way and there are random stop signs along with the usual stop lights at the large intersections. Well, I'm not used to having stop signs and 2-way traffic on the feader so I'm just cruising along checking out the trucks as I pass by. I suddenly notice a car stopped at a side street begin to pull out in front of me. At that time I also notice the stop sign that I was SUPPOSED to be stopping for. And to make things worse there is a 4-5 foot ditch on both sides of the road. So I slam on the brakes and turn the wheel to the left to go around her and the front wheels lock up. I immediately let off the brakes and then back on. At this point I'm around her but in the oncomming lane and there's a car approaching. So of course I swerve back into my lane. Now all this happened in about 1 second and after the fact the manuever looked so cool (well, after I cleaned my shorts). It was totally like a manuever you see in a movie or something. I basically did a double fish tail and it worked out just like I was intending (well, after I reallized I couldn't stop). It was the weirdest feeling: I was embarrased, scared poopieless, and proud all at the same time. Not to mention I had a knot on my left temple from slamming my head into the edge of the t-top (yes, the swerve was that violent).

The braking of these old cars may not be as well as some of the new cars with anti-lock but IMO they are more predictable and sometimes better if you know how to handle it. But boy do those front tires lock up easily.

[Modified by tshort, 2:32 PM 1/20/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To Near Miss @ 60MPH

Quick Reply: Near Miss @ 60MPH