C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The sound of a bad alternator?.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2003, 10:35 PM
vicrattlehead
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default The sound of a bad alternator?.....

....Does it sound like a bearing trace wearing out? I took my vette out for a drive today and half way through I start hearing this noise like bearings wearing out. It's most pronounced at idle up to about 1500 RPM and then it disappears. When I popped the hood, the noise certainly sounded like it was coming from the alternator. I have no problem with electric delivery though, it's a strong 12 - 15 volts.

It sound like metallic radio static. Could it be anything else? I don't have an AIR pump, and it didn't sound like the water pump or AC compressor. Thanks in advance!!!!
Old 01-19-2003, 10:46 PM
lyonsh
Drifting

Default Re: The sound of a bad alternator?..... (vicrattlehead)

You could have a bad diode - that wouldn't affect the voltage output, but could add a "ripple" that's not good for your battery. Get a mechanics stethoscope (or a long thin screwdriver) and listen to see if you can tell whether the noise comes from the front or back of the alt. Front = bearing; back = probably diode (although there's a bearing back there, too).
Old 01-19-2003, 11:03 PM
Rogue Wave
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-16-'17

Another thing you could try is to remove the alternator belt and spin it by hand and see if that is where the noise is coming from.

Good luck :cheers:
Old 01-20-2003, 07:34 AM
tippi58
Racer

I had a real thrummm thrummm noise and one day the alternator up and seized. About 6 months later the water pump seized.:mad

Know what... a 350 chev will still turn that rubber belt. :lol:

I get a funny feeling a misalignment in the belt was the problem but >> :cheers:

:cool: :cool: :cool:
Old 01-20-2003, 09:44 AM
UKPaul
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Could the sound also be described as a loud hiss (like the sort of noise escaping steam from a steam train makes)? If so, try giving the alternator a slap! I jest not :) Mine started making a loud noise (thought it was a severe vacuum leak at 1st) last year. It was intermittant, but when it happened I could hear it above the noise of the exhausts. Eventually it did it when I had the hood open & I slapped the alternator - which stopped the noise! The bearings on my alternator seem OK (took it apart to check them out). It's like the noise you get from brushes rubbing on a commutator (sp?) when you turn it by hand, but very much amplified. The alternator is charging OK & has done 2000 miles with this noise randomly starting & stopping. I can't work out what's causing it - it's doin' me 'ead in!!
:cheers:
Old 01-20-2003, 09:53 AM
GaryS
Melting Slicks

I think you gave a very accurate description of the impending failure of a bearing. It is a unique sound. Fortunately, alternator repairs are fairly simple. If your electrical output is good, consider new bearings.
Gary
Old 01-20-2003, 10:20 AM
chuck d
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try running the engine with the belt off. If the noise goes away you know you have the culprit.

Chuck D
Old 01-20-2003, 10:52 AM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: The sound of a bad alternator?..... (GaryS)

If the alternator is making a whirring sound, then the front ball bearing
is likely starting to let go. When that alternator locks up, the belt will lose.
Ask me about the wife's Blazer that I ignored for too long. I had to drive
three hours to Vermont to fix it for her in the 0 degree cold.

Even if it stops and starts, you should consider replacing it now. The bearing
itself is pretty cheap - and not much more to get a complete rebuild kit
for most chevy alternators. If you are worried about correct resto - then a rebuild kit may be a no no.

:seeya
Old 01-21-2003, 12:16 PM
UKPaul
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: The sound of a bad alternator?..... (NHvette)

I think I'll just change the bearings & see what happens. Better safe than sorry :)
Now that I've thought about it some more, I can describe exactly the sound that it's making: it's the sound that a small needle roller bearing makes when all lubricant has been cleaned from it & it is spun at speed. But a lot louder :(
Thanks
Paul

Get notified of new replies

To The sound of a bad alternator?.....

Quick Reply: The sound of a bad alternator?.....