C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fellow Forum Members-Please help me quantify rebuild costs

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2003, 10:09 PM
hudman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fellow Forum Members-Please help me quantify rebuild costs

Last weekend I think I may have done some damage to my BB and I am now contemplating how to proceed.

I do not know if I want to fully rebuild the motor or address the problem which I am assuming is a rod bearing failure. Given that I will have to have the motor pulled to turn the crank and replace the bearings, a full rebuild may make sense.

I can price all of the parts needed for a full rebuild, but can you guys let me know what I can expect to pay for the machine work and labor?

Pull motor and reinstall

Machine crank, resize rods, head work (3 angle valve job, install larger valves, etc), block boring, or anything else

Engine assembly

Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

I am in mourning right now. :lol:
Old 01-19-2003, 10:26 PM
PROSOUTH
Drifting

Location: Manchester, Dead Center in the Middle of TN 25 miles to Jack Daniels,10 miles to Geo Dickle, and .8 mile from the Liquor Store at I-24 Exit 114
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: Fellow Forum Members-Please help me quantify rebuild costs (hudman)

Hudman
'68 427 4 spd Roadster
Lemans Blue/Black int/White Soft top/Vinyl Hardtop
'67 block, larger cam, headers, but 100% original in appearance

With a NOM already I would look at a GM Crate Engine. I tried to figure up a small block for my car and just couldn't beat the price overall. Another thing is all of the extra cost because of this or that you didn't figure in. Or something like shoddy machine work that has haunted me before.

The offset of this maybe in the C-2 Section where someone wouold love to have that engine to go in their car. It may still bring good money to them. This incorperated back in with the cost of going through it may enable you to get a nice Crate Engine. Just a thought.

As for Labor, that will vary as to where you reside and how good the mechanic is. Sometimes you get what you pay for.

Sorry for your misfortune, Good Luck JIM
Old 01-20-2003, 11:49 AM
bb69
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

hudman,
I was just looking at my bill:

bore/hone/wash/degrease/deck block $450
rods $185
valve job $150
hard valve seats $180
assembly $300
balance $300

Hopefully that helps some.
Old 01-20-2003, 12:13 PM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

You can purchase a 427 or 454 short or long block (unassembled) from PAW:

427 - 8.7:1 thru 11.1-1
454 - 7.8:1 thru 11.9:1

Short block ($2295):
427 (or 454) 4-bolt main, block bored oversized, honed for moly rings,cam bearings installed, brass freeze plugs, painted inside with rustoleum, outside factory orange. Your choice of Forged TRW pistons, chrome moly rings, quality conn rod & main bearings, heavy-duty connecting rods, fitted chrome-moly 3/8" rod bolts, cramkshaft custom ground and micro polished, double roller timing chain set, your choice of hydraulic or solid camshaft. Custom balanced for maximum performance.

Long block ($2795):
As above with oval port cylinder heads performance valve job, heavy-duty springs, hd locks, chrome moly push rods, lifters, hi-vol oil pump, long slot rocker arms and complete gasket set.

PAW - Performance Automotive Warehouse http://www.pawengineparts.com
21001 Nordhoff St., Chatsworth, CA 91311
818-678-3000

[Modified by TedH, 12:13 PM 1/20/2003]

[Modified by TedH, 12:14 PM 1/20/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To Fellow Forum Members-Please help me quantify rebuild costs

Quick Reply: Fellow Forum Members-Please help me quantify rebuild costs