C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Top Rad Seals - How do u they fit??

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2003, 08:54 PM
bandit99
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Rad Seals - How do u they fit??

Hope someone can help me out with my 80 vette.

A while back I replaced the Rad and due to shortness of time, just installed the side seals between the rad/rad support. Note, the seals have been missing since I bought the car so I have no baseline to compare to.

While I am now have some time, and wanted to go back and install the top L/R seals, but can't figure out how to mount them. The 2 pieces are 5 and 6 inches long and 1 3/8 wide. There doesn't seem to be enough room lengthwise between the u brackets and the center air duct. The center air duct couldn't mount on top of the foam (?) its too thick. I assume the seal should be clear of the u bracket mount to allow for removal.

What am I doing wrong?? I only have a diagram which shows the rad support and the seals on the top and sides, but they just do not fit that way if I install the center air duct.

Hope someone can help.

B99
Old 01-20-2003, 08:25 AM
jerryp58
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Top Rad Seals - How do u they fit?? (bandit99)

I don't know if it'll help, but this is a diagram from my '77 AIM... http://users.erols.com/jerryp58/corv...p/radseals.jpg

The number #1's can be a tight fit between the radiator and the frame, but I guess that's the idea.

I don't recall having trouble with the #4's. Do you have a stock air intake setup?

BTW, Welcome to the Forum :seeya
Old 01-20-2003, 09:10 AM
J75
Racer

If you don`t have them,get the Aim manual for an 80 and also Doc`s catalog.The diagrams in both are a must.
Old 01-20-2003, 10:16 AM
bandit99
4th Gear

Default Re: Top Rad Seals - How do u they fit?? (J75)

Jerry,

It's the #1's which I can't get in there. One is 6 inches long, the other is 5 inches. Between the U bracket and the Air intake center duct, there is about 5 inches on the drivers side, but barely 2 inches on the passenger side.

I thought they should fit the space between the U bracket and the air duct but without covering the bracket and duct. Any ideas what I am doing wrong??

Thanks,
B99
Old 01-20-2003, 10:35 AM
jerryp58
Melting Slicks

The #1's should be between the radiator and the support and about flush with the top of the support.

They shouldn't interfere with the intake unless there's some part of the intake that drops down on top of them.

Any chance you can post a picture?
Old 01-20-2003, 11:04 AM
bandit99
4th Gear

Default Re: Top Rad Seals - How do u they fit?? (jerryp58)

I will try and get a picture, although it may be difficult to look at since everything is taken apart..

Do you believe that the air duct which comes down between the rad and support may actually sit on top of the end pieces of the seal??

I tried this, but the seal is 1 3/8 thick and I couldn't compress it enough to have the intake seat properly on the frame (2 scres on drivers side, 1 on passenger). So I assummed the intake mounted straight to the support with nothing inbetween.

Thanks,
B99
Old 01-21-2003, 01:24 AM
bandit99
4th Gear

Jerry

Thanks for all your help.

Finally spoke to the seller who advised me to just cut the top seals to the length needed. That worked like a charm.

Just wish these kits would come with better instructions!

B99

Get notified of new replies

To Top Rad Seals - How do u they fit??

Quick Reply: Top Rad Seals - How do u they fit??