C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Holding an '82 transmission in 1st gear

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2003, 08:03 PM
Glensgages
Race Director

Received 61 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Holding an '82 transmission in 1st gear

Help! Does any forum-members have ideas on modifying the shifter on my '82 Corvette? I can't locate 1st gear with the shifter. The indicator reads, top-to-bottom: P R N D 3 2. there's not even a '1' LISTED on the shift indicator :confused: Pulling the lever ALL the way back is still just '2nd' gear, I think. I don't wanna go :smash: this car up; it is too nice to cut & gut :D . I took this car to the strip, and couldn't hold it in 1st gear, making the blinding 15.90 @ 86 MPH passes even MORE difficult to achieve :mad any help before I go :crazy: is appreciated. :) :lol: :cheers: :D ;)
Old 01-19-2003, 08:22 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Holding an '82 transmission in 1st gear (Glensgages)

You could grind the shifter so you can pull it back further, that way you can engage 1st.
On the right side in this pic is where the grinding needs to take place.

If you want to have to use the **** to free the selection for 1st you have to grind it so it's a little lower than where the key is in the pic here.
Another thing you can do, I rigged it so that the key (or tab) does not go back into the upper position (by spring pressure), this way you can mash through all the fwd gears without having to press the **** (something I found very irritating)

I think I read somewhere that the 350 -> 700 conversion kit has the correct shifter/cable combo to allow you to select 1st. I'm not 100% sure though.

Marck

[Modified by Twin_Turbo, 7:26 PM 1/19/2003]
Old 01-19-2003, 08:45 PM
Ken73
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: Holding an '82 transmission in 1st gear (Glensgages)

:yesnod: Twinnie has it right.. you can grind a notch in there for it.

I've actually managed to get 1st by pushing the button all the way in and literally yanking (not REAL hard) the shifter all the way back. Next time I rip apart my console I'll probably grind the notch though.

Get notified of new replies

To Holding an '82 transmission in 1st gear

Quick Reply: Holding an '82 transmission in 1st gear