C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

squeeking sound coming from new engine???

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2003, 06:42 PM
OkeeGuy
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default squeeking sound coming from new engine???

well the engine rebuild seems very sucessful...runs great...
but there is a sqeeking sound eminating from the engine that we cant quite pinpoint...
it is not a steady squeal...it is more like squeek squeek squeek squeek...
we have removed ALL belts at once, eliminating belts, alt, a/c, ps pump and water pump...
it almost sounds as tho its coming from the bell housing (all clutch components are new) leaving us to believe that it MAY be the pilot bushing...ARGH!
i dont want to pull that trany again...if i dont have to...
but, as i said...we really cant pinpoint it...
it dosnt do it when started up cold but starts in by the time i drive 1/4 mile...
any ideas????
Old 01-19-2003, 07:32 PM
yellow 72
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: squeeking sound coming from new engine??? (SIGNGUY)

If it sqeaks with the clutch engaged(pedal out) it's not the pilot bushing, the trans shaft would be turning with the flywheel :cheers:
Old 01-19-2003, 08:20 PM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: squeeking sound coming from new engine??? (yellow 72)

Well, we had a 69 Vert in the shop last month with a new ZZ4/Hot Cam and heads etc. Ran like a bat outta XXXX!!

But there was a squeel from the rear main after it had run for a few min, or after driving it and letting off the pedal. :hat

Turned out to be the most unimaginable thing around: ZZ4 ships with a PCV bushing in one valve cover and a plug in the other one. It was hooked up to PCV vacuum alright ... but no vent in the other valve cover. Customer left the plug in it :hat and the PCV was active in the other valve cover :hat

Under high vac situations it would suck air right thru the rear main!!!!!!!

I put a vent on the right side valve cover and the noise went away. And I made a new customer vow lifelong love for The Dyno Shop!

Old 01-19-2003, 10:29 PM
OkeeGuy
Safety Car

Default Re: squeeking sound coming from new engine??? (SanDiegoPaul)

"If it sqeaks with the clutch engaged(pedal out) it's not the pilot bushing, the trans shaft would be turning with the flywheel"

it squeeks with pedal in or out...it dosnt change a bit either way...

Well, we had a 69 Vert in the shop last month with a new ZZ4/Hot Cam and heads etc. Ran like a bat outta XXXX!!
But there was a squeel from the rear main after it had run for a few min, or after driving it and letting off the pedal. :hat
Turned out to be the most unimaginable thing around: ZZ4 ships with a PCV bushing in one valve cover and a plug in the other one. It was hooked up to PCV vacuum alright ... but no vent in the other valve cover. Customer left the plug in it :hat and the PCV was active in the other valve cover :hat
I put a vent on the right side valve cover and the noise went away. And I made a new customer vow lifelong love for The Dyno Shop!
i have a vent in the right valve cover...

thanx guys! :yesnod:

anybody other ideas out there???
Old 01-19-2003, 11:15 PM
yellow 72
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '09

Inspection plate rubbing the flywheel??
Old 01-20-2003, 05:18 AM
OkeeGuy
Safety Car

hhhmmm.....
hadnt thought of that...where would it be rubbing? or should i say...
where COULD it be rubbing?
Old 01-20-2003, 05:30 AM
Mystery Machine
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After I got my new engine in there was a squeaking noise coming from what sounded like the flywheel area. It would squeak after the car warmed up either at idle or when I was slowing down. I started simple: I replaced, adjusted all belts...still there. Then I went deeper, replaced my torque convereter...still there (which was OK because I wanted a higher stall anyway). Some guys said it might be the distributor gear but since it's an intermittent noise I kind of dismissed that. Now I'm back up front at the belts but now I'm thinking it has to be the pulleys. I'm gonna get some of those underdrive pulleys and try them. But honestly I think I am just as frustrated as you. The noise is bothersome but it doesn't stop me from driving it! :steering:

Anyway, sorry I can't offer any suggestions as to what it might be but at least I can empathize.

Anyway, good luck with it.
Old 01-20-2003, 05:33 AM
Mystery Machine
Drifting

Default Re: squeeking sound coming from new engine??? (SanDiegoPaul)

HOLY COW!!! I think you just described my situation EXACTLY!!!! Did you just but a breather type thing in place of the plug? PLEASE TELL ME!
Old 01-20-2003, 05:37 AM
yellow 72
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '09

The two small 'ears' that hold the plate away from the crank flange sometimes rub it when installed wrong. Last year I installed a mini starter and had that happen. It was a grinding sounded but I guess a slight rub could produce a squeak......
Old 01-20-2003, 07:24 AM
OkeeGuy
Safety Car

"After I got my new engine in there was a squeaking noise coming from what sounded like the flywheel area. It would squeak after the car warmed up either at idle or when I was slowing down. I started simple: I replaced, adjusted all belts...still there. Then I went deeper, replaced my torque convereter...still there (which was OK because I wanted a higher stall anyway). Some guys said it might be the distributor gear but since it's an intermittent noise I kind of dismissed that. Now I'm back up front at the belts but now I'm thinking it has to be the pulleys. I'm gonna get some of those underdrive pulleys and try them. But honestly I think I am just as frustrated as you. The noise is bothersome but it doesn't stop me from driving it!
Anyway, sorry I can't offer any suggestions as to what it might be but at least I can empathize.

Anyway, good luck with it.
_______

Green '73 coupe, ZZ4"

what you need to do is remove all belts at once and that will eliminate the belts, alt, a/c and the ps pump all at one time...
hope this helps...

The two small 'ears' that hold the plate away from the crank flange sometimes rub it when installed wrong. Last year I installed a mini starter and had that happen. It was a grinding sounded but I guess a slight rub could produce a squeak......
thanx! i will check that today and let you know what i found...

i just came back to edit because i was thinking...it dosnt do it upon start up...just after it warms up and it seems to me that if that was it it would do it from the giddy-up...
i will check it today anyway tho...

[Modified by SIGNGUY, 7:27 AM 1/20/2003]
Old 01-20-2003, 07:32 AM
Mystery Machine
Drifting

what you need to do is remove all belts at once and that will eliminate the belts, alt, a/c and the ps pump all at one time...
hope this helps...
Thanks for the tip. I'll try that but I am REALLY hoping that SanDiegoPaul hit it right on the head, my problem sounds EXACTLY like what he described, and I KNOW I left the plug in the valve cover opposite the PCV valve (I know I'm an idiot :conehead ).

[Modified by Mystery Machine, 12:33 PM 1/20/2003]
Old 01-20-2003, 07:36 AM
OkeeGuy
Safety Car

Default Re: squeeking sound coming from new engine??? (Mystery Machine)

Thanks for the tip. I'll try that but I am REALLY hoping that SanDiegoPaul hit it right on the head, my problem sounds EXACTLY like what he described, and I KNOW I left the plug in the valve cover opposite the PCV valve (I know I'm an idiot :conehead ).

[Modified by Mystery Machine, 12:33 PM 1/20/2003]
the difference in mine and what he descibed is that mine goes... squeek...squeek...squeek...
and i would think that what he is describing would be a more steady, constant squeek or squeel noise...
Old 01-20-2003, 06:34 PM
OkeeGuy
Safety Car

ttt
Old 01-20-2003, 07:02 PM
72GACRZR
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

"i just came back to edit because i was thinking...it dosnt do it upon start up...just after it warms up and it seems to me that if that was it it would do it from the giddy-up...
i will check it today anyway tho...
posssible clue, heat expansion of a very close fit.

I don't do complete teardowns, but could you use a rubber hose steascope(sp?) and maybe hone in on it?
Old 01-20-2003, 07:16 PM
OkeeGuy
Safety Car

Default Re: squeeking sound coming from new engine??? (72GACRZR)

[QUOTEposssible clue, heat expansion of a very close fit.
I don't do complete teardowns, but could you use a rubber hose steascope(sp?) and maybe hone in on it?[/QUOTE]
actually i was thinking today about the heat expansion theary and im thinking about the possibility of the header gaskets...
i was using the "cheapie" ones that came with the headers and didnt hear the squeek...they were the "aspestoes" material type with some kind of metal sandwiched in the middle...
i installed some more "better" more expensive Summit ones that are nothing more than thick, soft aluminum plate gaskets and it was right around that time that i started hearing the sound...
it is the type of sound that that kind of gasket might make...
im changin out the steering gear tomorrow and "while im in there" im gonna put the other set back in and see what happens...

we havent used a stethescope but we HAVE done alot of listening thru a screwdriver! :lol: :yesnod:

Get notified of new replies

To squeeking sound coming from new engine???

Quick Reply: squeeking sound coming from new engine???