C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maybe too tall for a Corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2003, 05:18 PM
TFox
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maybe too tall for a Corvette?

I am 6'7" tall and want to buy an 82 Corvette. I sat in one at a dealer and it was not bad. The curved dash missed my knees and the steering wheel adjustment helped. But I need that seat back just a bit so that my body will be lower and I can see out better. Is it possible to cut out a bit behind the drivers seat and move the seat track back a few inches. Also the one I sat in had power seats. Would a manual seat be lower without all the electrics underneath? I really want to get a Corvette and am willing to invest some money into making some modifications. Any ideas?
What if I go to an earlier year Corvette. I really like the 82 but I could live with a 78-81 if it would make it easier to modify the area behind the drivers seat. Also the problem with the 84 is the dash does not curve like the 82 so my knees hit and so it is not as comfortable. Am I just out of luck here and I need to look for another ride. Thanks
Old 01-19-2003, 05:48 PM
SBcoupeC3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Maybe too tall for a Corvette? (TFox)

I am also 6'7'' and I drive a 1969 corvette so you shouldn't be that bad. My vette does not have tilt/tele and the seat is all the way back and my knees slighty touch the dash, but my head does hit the t-tops when going over a speed bump. It is all in how far down you can slouch( well not that much).
Scott
Old 01-19-2003, 06:16 PM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you tried a 78-81 with manual seats?

Be patient (and persistent). Someone will come along with answers...
Old 01-19-2003, 06:50 PM
Pete79L82
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The power seat 9is a 50/50 deal. It does help that yoou can tip the seat back, but only until your head hits the fixed portionof the roof. On the other hand a non-power seat sits a little lower. I find the biggest factor is glass tops. Without having interior trim, the glass tops give me the added head room I need. On fiberglass tops with headliners my head is on the roof constantly.

As for cutting out behind the driver seat, that would be major surgery. You could gain a little room but the battery box is there.

I find my car more lacking in head room then leg room so for the most part I just drive with the tops off. :auto:
Old 01-19-2003, 06:53 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

I am 6'5" tall, with most of my arthritic height in my backbone...and as such probably have about the headroom you do....my '72 seats were easily modified to remove the rear supports/mounts off the tracks...and the seat belt retractor top cover....allowing more headroom....
then I cut the bottom of the firewall/floorboard in a U shaped cut, moved the bottom edge forward about 2.5 inches or so, and cut/bent the pedals for more depth/footroom.....

now that dropped my knees off the steering wheel, and head off the roof....

GENE

Get notified of new replies

To Maybe too tall for a Corvette?

Quick Reply: Maybe too tall for a Corvette?