C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door panel removal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2003, 12:49 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Door panel removal?

My windows are very stiff trying to crank them up, I know that the internals are probably worn and need lubrication. What parts should I just go ahead and order before I pull the door panels?
Are there any tricky things I should look out for when pulling the panels?
Thanx!
Old 01-19-2003, 03:11 PM
YankeeStation1967
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 83 Posts

Default Re: Door panel removal? (Smokehouse69)

Use a NEW #2 phillips screwdriver on the door pulls & handle. Those window winders will probably straighten out with a good cleaning & re lube. http://www.corvettemagazine.com/2001...or/doorpg2.asp
Old 01-19-2003, 09:01 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Door panel removal? (Ed T)

Thanks Ed, for the link. I went ahead and pulled the door panel off and what a mess! Many years of dirt and grime, and the door panel itself was in worse shape than I thought, although nothing that isn't restorable.
The problem with the stiff roll up was from petrified grease. At sometime in the past someone had lubed everything with what looked like regular chassis lube. This stuff was hard and had absolutely no lubricating properties. I used carb cleaner and PB Blaster after I scraped most of the stuff off. After it was clean I relubed everything with white lithium grease.
The window rolls up much easier now.
Now I get to start the project of fixing the door panel so that it is at least functionally if not cosmetically good as new.
There are several small tears in the bottom of the vinyl, the top rear mounting screw hole is broken out with torn vinyl around it, and the bottom rear mount bracket is broken out of the masonite backing.
I'm going to repair those place and document how I did it. Maybe I'll submit a repair guide for the forum and Corvette Faq website.
The plastic vapor barrier was in really good shape with no rips in it, after I washed it off it looks nearly new. Does anyone know of a source for the putty adhesive that is used to reattach the stuff with?
Old 01-19-2003, 10:07 PM
YankeeStation1967
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 83 Posts

putty adhesive that is used to reattach the stuff with?
Strip Caulk from the auto parts store. Some stores make you buy the whole box while other stores will sell single strips just like penny candy.
Those rear bottoms always want to tear out the fiberboard. I tried the epoxy from POR15.......didnt hold. It may be easier for you to rivet a piece of sheet metal to the DP & latch your little clip to that.
Old 01-19-2003, 11:39 PM
carbster09
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

I actually managed to pull the door panels off and replace them without any major problems! :thumbs:

On my 71 I needed no special tools and no new parts. Easy money!

I did this to realine the doors in order to get them to shut better. I only made some progress in that endevour.. :(

Are you in any of the local Tx vette clubs? I am thinking about gettin' involved with one maybe...

Thanks

Chris in Houston..
Old 01-20-2003, 12:13 AM
72GACRZR
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

late getting in but,

and the bottom rear mount bracket is broken out of the masonite backing.
I had this too and cut a 4-5" strip of 1/4" flat metal and forced it behind the masonite and pushed it all the way one way to get it into the other side and then pushed it back to about even to bridge the gap. the clip then hooks to it, so far it has held for 7 months.
Old 01-20-2003, 02:46 AM
WhyFly
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you finished redoing your windows yet? I'm in the middle of doing this job right now in my 79 and its been quite a task. The windows were very sloppy and actually moved around inside the door. Pretty much everything inside needed attention. Rollers were all shot, bumbers were shot as well. The rear track on the passenger side window was bent. Lotsa surprises. Bubba had rammed some oversize screws in to hold the broken door panel in place so I had a little migging to do in the original screw holes to make them a bit smaller and re tapped them for the proper sized screws. I replaced all the weather stripping as well on the door and the front and rear uppers. Oh yea whewwww...I also had to fabricate a piece that no one seemed to have. It's a front slide adjustment piece for the window front/back travel. I have worked on this for hours and still can't seem to get the fit I want for a good seal. It's frustating as all get out but I have three months of winter to go so I will persist....either that or I'll take it to a GM dealers body shop and get them to do the final fitting....But that would be admitting defeat...So it will definately be a last resort....I would guess that by the time I replace all the parts in the windows, the door panels, window mouldings and weather strip, this little project has cost me around $400 per door....Now where's that credit card? My wife needs a second job...

" Looking For a Solution....Trying Not to Bubba "

WhyFly
79 Burgundy Coupe
ManyMods..More To
Follow :D
Old 01-20-2003, 11:27 AM
72GACRZR
Drifting

Default Re: Door panel removal? (WhyFly)

Oh yea whewwww...I also had to fabricate a piece that no one seemed to have. It's a front slide adjustment piece for the window front/back travel. I have worked on this for hours and still can't seem to get the fit I want for a good seal. It's frustating as all get out but I have three months of winter to go so I will persist....either that or I'll take it to a GM dealers body shop and get them to do the final fitting....But that would be admitting defeat...So it will definately be a last resort..
I had the same problem on one side. I took the good one off the other side to a machine shop and asked them to make two that matched. They did for around $7 and it worked fine. I feel some things are best left to those that have more expertise and equipment than I, thus not defeat, just using all resources. :yesnod:
Old 01-20-2003, 11:59 AM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Door panel removal? (WhyFly)

Surprisingly the rollers, tracks and other hardware was in excellent shape, just extremely cruddy and needing a good lubing. After cleaning and relubing the widow goes up and down perfectly. It could be that the lack of damage is because these are manual windows. I think manual windows are probably easier on the hardware than electric.
I didn't get a chance to work on repairing the panel yesterday evening as I had some "inside" work to do. I should get at least the first part of the restoration started tonight.
I think I'll try the thin piece of metal to back the lower rear mount from where it is broken out of the masonite/particle board.
What's the deal with those knobby squares on the door and the panel? Are they some primative form of Velcro? If they are, I can't imagine how they are supposed to hold together.
Thanks guys for the tips!
Old 01-20-2003, 12:47 PM
72GACRZR
Drifting

What's the deal with those knobby squares on the door and the panel? Are they some primative form of Velcro? If they are, I can't imagine how they are supposed to hold together.
Thanks guys for the tips!
Yep, and you can buy new ones from the major sources. you should have the other half on the door frame, they were rivited.
Old 01-20-2003, 01:57 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

I find cleaning the tracks and not bothering with lube of any kind works well also...as the wheels are plactic/nylon and roll easy without lube....

works for me...7 years now....

GENE
Old 01-22-2003, 02:43 AM
WhyFly
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

:cry Machine Shop..?...Who'da thunk it...Sometimes I get so caught up in the garage I tend to forget there are other people you can allow to work on the car... or at least pieces of it as long as they don' t get near the actual car itself. And for seven bucks ya say...Wonder what that would be in Canadian dollars? :) Thanks for the tip Henry...Next time I encounter a situation like that I'll definately let a guy with more toys than me do the job... :)

WhyFly
79 Bugundy Coupe
ManyMods...More To
Follow

Get notified of new replies

To Door panel removal?

Quick Reply: Door panel removal?