C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air in brake lines, part 2

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2003, 02:25 AM
BeaterShark
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Air in brake lines, part 2

A little over a week ago, I got a real soft pedal. To the point where it would light up the brake light from the pedal switch under normal braking. I could not find anything wrong from a visual inspection, so I blead the brakes. After bleeding the driver's side rear, my pedal firmed up. I had just bled the front ones which did nothing for the pedal travel.

I drove the car for 1 week and then the same symptoms came again. Again, by bleeding the driver's side rear, the pedal stiffened up. I did try the passenger side rear this time firt, but it made no difference. This proved to me that the problem is with the driver rear.

I pulled the caliper and checked the runout on the roter. I had .003" on the outside and .006" on the inside. I believe the spec to be .005", so this should not be causing my problem. I then rebuilt the caliper. This was tonight, so I don't know if it will hold up. Everything looks fine and I'm not losing fluid.

Anybody have any other ideas, or do you think rebuilding the caliper might fixe it?
Old 01-19-2003, 02:59 AM
WESCH
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Air in brake lines, part 2 (BeaterShark)

Hi
When checking runout, did you also force the bearings. If they have play, just measuring disc runout without prying the axle up/down doesn't show all actual runout in driving condition.
Good luck Gunther
Old 01-19-2003, 08:20 AM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Air in brake lines, part 2 (WESCH)

Could it be the master? You might try and unbolt it from the booster but leave the line intact. Check for fluid leakage from the rear of master. this can also be indicated by paint peeling away from the underside of booster. When the fluid leaks it melts the paint away. If the master has been leaking, theres a good chance it will have caused damage to the booster as well. The booster should hold a vacuum reserve for an extended period of time. Start the car to fill the vacuum reserve. Shut it off and wait an hour. Then before starting it again pull the vacuum connection from the booster and listen for the air rushing in to fill the vacuum. If you dont hear it then yur booster is leaking down. If fluid is leaking from the rear of master, then air can also get in. On a C3, the rear resivior operates the rear brakes.

Get notified of new replies

To Air in brake lines, part 2

Quick Reply: Air in brake lines, part 2